Thread: Thoughts on running a Tavor vs AR?

Thoughts on running a Tavor vs AR?

So I've thought about changing things up. I ran an AK for a while and liked it, but ultimately returned to my ARs. However, I got a chance to handle a Tavor recently and realy liked it. My question is, for those who have run them what do you think of them? Anybody favor it over a good AR?
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    We had a T&E for them. Pretty much nobody liked them over the AR, with the horrendous trigger being one of the leading complaints. The bullpup design doesn't add enough utility to overcome the limits of the design. They were ultimately not authorized.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I owned a Tavor X95 for a few months with the thought of using it as a travel/vacation gun. Compact size with a full size barrel being what attracted me to the platform.

The increased height over bore caused me to have to relearn my bullet drops all over again vs. what I am used to doing for my AR's.

Shooting from a bench rest was something that took a lot of effort due to the size and shape of the gun. Much more so than using an AR.

IF it was my only gun and I only needed to use it at a close range, the concept has some merit. But I still have to carry an AR at work. I could live with the different set of dope for the Tavor X95 vs. the AR.

The issue I had was when got away from the bench and shot from unconventional positions and shot while moving. While it was possible to do so with the Tavor X95 bull pup, it took a lot more effort on my part. Set the bull pup dowe and pick up a basic AR like a Colt 6920 and the same course of fire took half the effort to achieve similar, or usually better results. When I picked up the Daniel Defense V7 AR that I use as a Patrol Rifle at work, then it was no contest. I could shoot the mid length gas system AR at a much higher level. The 15" hand guard permitted me to transition from target to target much faster than with my X95.

If my only need for a weapon was to be used inside as a HD firearm then the bull pup Tavor/X95 has merit. But the minute I step outside, then I prefer an AR.

The Tavor X95 was sold off.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 03-31-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Pretty much nobody liked them over the AR, with the horrendous.
    Stock Tavors... definitely agreed. However, my Tavor with Geissele pack and trigger... I’d put it up against any production AR trigger without hesitation. Granted it is a good chunk of coin, but a bullpup trigger can be made good.

One of my biggest issues with the Tavor was the standard charging handle. Has a detent, which can take the gun out of battery if knocked. While it was just something to consider, I got the GHW folding charging handle. Gets rid of that issue, and really slicks up the profile of the gun. No more kickstand if you lay it down on that side.

The X95 is nice, but for the bullpup, I don’t like the AR-style magazine release. The original design might be different, but it does work. If the X95 was actually an SBR, I’d probably like that better... but as an 16” carbine, I preferred the original.

Yes, I prefer the Tavor (I have the SAR with Geissele trigger) over any AR Carbine in 5.56.. If .300 AAC Blackout were cheaper, and more widely available/found for a SHTF scenario, then I'd take an AR 9-10.5 inch SBR in .300 over the SAR. I prefer an AR Rifle (20in) in 5.56 over any carbine or the SAR. You've handled one, so you know what to expect. Get a good trigger in it and it rocks, but a crisp AR trigger will always beat it, IMO.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

User Tag List