Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SP101 vs. GP100

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll check the rule book to see if a 7shot would put me at some disadvantage per class or something.
    You can only load and fire 6 rounds. A 6 round revolver is definitely needed if you want to succeed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    You can only load and fire 6 rounds. A 6 round revolver is definitely needed if you want to succeed.
    Thank you. This gives me something to think about on the 7 shot 2.5" with nice sights. IDPA isn't the main purpose, but it is a purpose to get better as a shooter with a revolver.

Looks like I might need to do the 1752 (Wiley Clapp) or the 1763 (3" with brass bead front sight)

Site Supporter
    Can anybody comment on 3” vs 4” for general use and hip carry purposes? The more I’m looking at things, the more I’m stuck between the Wiley Clapp or the cheaper Match Champion offerings. I’m looking at fixed sights either way.

It’s easy enough to change out the grips and take care of that complicating feature, but the barrel isn’t going away.

Can anybody comment on 3” vs 4” for general use and hip carry purposes?
    Hip carry is probably more of a weight question. Might you ever be stashing it in the pack somewhere? That might favor 3".

Site Supporter

SP101 vs. GP100

The packs are herbicide packs, manual and motorized, and hold 4-6 gallons of herbicide, so they can’t carry a thing. This is a straight hip carry, concealed (makes me think 3”)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeep45238; 04-04-2018 at 05:26 PM.

The packs are herbicide packs, manual and motorized, and hold 4-6 gallons of herbicide, so they can’t carry a thing. This is a straight hip carry, concealed (makes me think 3”)
    Oh, then I say 3" if OWB, but you might consider the 4" thin barrel if it will be IWB, depending on physique. I think you are younger than me, but in my case having the IWB pivot point behind the belt, having your butt push out to push the grip into your side. In my case, it is a battle between the butt and the gut, and giving the butt a little extra leverage helps...

Site Supporter
    Could ruger make an SP101 in .357/.38 that was 6 rounds without making it much bigger?

Sure, but they called it a Security Six.

Ruger makes the occasional 9mm revolver or you can have one converted.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Sure, but they called it a Security Six.
    The Speed Six is what the OP (and the rest of us...) is trying to buy

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The Speed Six is what the OP (and the rest of us...) is trying to buy
    With few exceptions, I try to stick with models currently produced for support and logistical reasons.

If there’s a compelling reason to go with something no longer made, I’m listening, but it has to be a really good reason for me. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List