Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SP101 vs. GP100

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think some of this decision works backwards from the barrel length, cartridge and also weight (if you are carrying a 70 pound pack does a few ounces of pistol matter or does it mater more?). 357 needs at least the 3" to even approach 357 potential. If you are talking 2" then like BB says, the LCR is lighter and cheaper and smoother out of the box. But I just realized the WCs are 3", so that is where you must be at.

As much as I like my SP if I were doing it again today the 3" LCRx might have to get some consideration.
    With the packs, it's more along the lines of where the straps are coming down from my shoulders to the pack itself, and how that would impact a hip holster (but that's with any gun). Appendix may or may not work due to the terrain steepness and climbing up it. The terrain could be anything - muck, heavily wooded, 60* inclines, thorns everywhere, marshes and bogs, grasslands - short of something generated by mountains, I'm exposed to it.

Barrel length isn't the most important thing to me, in either shorter or longer. How it carries and how it shoots are my main priorities, as it's primary purpose will be a trainer, and secondary for carry (primary is a P226 for example).

The ease of dissassembly of these Rugers (and stainless construction) make me pretty comfortable if I need to disassemble and reoil in a hotel in the event of going for an unintended swim.

Interesting in this is the 2nd recommendation of the LCR over the SP101 - but the GP100 over both (if feasible)

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Barrel length isn't the most important thing to me, in either shorter or longer. How it carries and how it shoots are my main priorities, as it's primary purpose will be a trainer, and secondary for carry.

Interesting in this is the 2nd recommendation of the LCR over the SP101 - but the GP100 over both (if feasible)
    I just think the LCR is a smoking deal, I cannot find any info on it but I think I remember reading that there is something specific to their action that makes them smooth.

But, considering your criteria, the new 2.5" 7 round version might be cool:
    Name:  1774.JPG
Views: 1219
Size:  18.0 KB
    Good sights on a regular grade gun, 40% more ammo than the SP.

Site Supporter
    That... looks very promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the packs, it's more along the lines of where the straps are coming down from my shoulders to the pack itself, and how that would impact a hip holster (but that's with any gun). Appendix may or may not work due to the terrain steepness and climbing up it. The terrain could be anything - muck, heavily wooded, 60* inclines, thorns everywhere, marshes and bogs, grasslands - short of something generated by mountains, I'm exposed to it.

Barrel length isn't the most important thing to me, in either shorter or longer. How it carries and how it shoots are my main priorities, as it's primary purpose will be a trainer, and secondary for carry (primary is a P226 for example).

The ease of dissassembly of these Rugers (and stainless construction) make me pretty comfortable if I need to disassemble and reoil in a hotel in the event of going for an unintended swim.

Have you ever considered a Hill People Gear Kit Bag for carrying with a backpack? I tote a Glock 20 in mine and find it very useful. A 4" GP100 will fit in one.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Have you ever considered a Hill People Gear Kit Bag for carrying with a backpack? I tote a Glock 20 in mine and find it very useful. A 4" GP100 will fit in one.
    I hadn't looked into it. As with all things, if the habit begins benign, people tend to ignore - but if it randomly begins it starts to draw curiosity. I work with small crews, sometimes from other offices, so it's really their perception of what could be in there that *doesn't* fit in pockets that might create problems.

I'm sure I could come up with uses for having work items in there - it might make sense. Thanks for the suggestion.

That... looks very promising.
    I want one too. At least YOU have a reason...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I hadn't looked into it. As with all things, if the habit begins benign, people tend to ignore - but if it randomly begins it starts to draw curiosity. I work with small crews, sometimes from other offices, so it's really their perception of what could be in there that *doesn't* fit in pockets that might create problems.

I'm sure I could come up with uses for having work items in there - it might make sense. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Gotcha. I was unaware of those circumstances. I actually use the kit bag even when I'm toting the firearm in a hip holster. It's handy to keep small items close at hand such a GPS, snacks, notebook, etc.

I've been on a couple of backpacking trips where it was in my best interest to be very discreet, and I pocket carried a J-frame on those occasions.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

The main purpose would be shooter development at the range, and potentially working it at IDPA while I work semi-auto at USPSA.
    IDPA Revolver is a 6 round game. That would mean a 6 round GP100. The SP101 only holds 5 rounds and you won't be happy with that in IDPA.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I just think the LCR is a smoking deal, I cannot find any info on it but I think I remember reading that there is something specific to their action that makes them smooth.
    Per Ruger: Patented friction reducing cam is a next generation design in fire control systems that results in a smooth, non-stacking trigger pull.

Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    IDPA Revolver is a 6 round game. That would mean a 6 round GP100. The SP101 only holds 5 rounds and you won't be happy with that in IDPA.
    I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll check the rule book to see if a 7shot would put me at some disadvantage per class or something. With all the two-shot targets I can see a big benefit to having an even number of chambers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List