Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: SP101 vs. GP100

Yup. Pretty much a Security/Service/Speed Six sized gun which is pretty close to a K frame Smith.

If you're looking to buy a new gun a Smith 66 is about as small as you can go with 6 rounds of .357, the Kimber K6S might have a small advantage with the way the cylinder is shaped like a hexagon. If you don't mind buying used I'd say buy a Ruger Six series gun, they can be had for $350 to $550+ depending on model, finish, and barrel length.

Go to the biggest gun store in town and fondle a bunch of stuff because that's the only way to really understand the size and feel of the guns.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 04-05-2018 at 09:52 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I see a lot of Security Six talk, but just a reminder:

1) They aren't supported by Ruger any longer (other than probably replacing with a GP100) and repair parts could be more problematic.
    2) Limited aftermarket support, front sight and grip are more "you're stuck with OEM" than current production.
    3) The trigger is not as good as the GP100. It's entirely usable, don't get me wrong, but the GP100 is better.

I sold my "Six" series for another GP100 and don't miss it. The inth degree of thickness isn't a make or break for me.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

1) They aren't supported by Ruger any longer (other than probably replacing with a GP100) and repair parts could be more problematic.
    2) Limited aftermarket support, front sight and grip are more "you're stuck with OEM" than current production.
    3) The trigger is not as good as the GP100. It's entirely usable, don't get me wrong, but the GP100 is better.

I sold my "Six" series for another GP100 and don't miss it. The inth degree of thickness isn't a make or break for me.

That's kinda my feelings behind it - if the GP winds up being to big, a step down to the SP (or if it makes sense, LCR) is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    That's kinda my feelings behind it - if the GP winds up being to big, a step down to the SP (or if it makes sense, LCR) is fine with me.
    FWIW, if I were planning on using stout loads, I would remove the LCR from consideration. I have a LCR in 9mm and standard pressure loads are right on the edge of what I want to shoot through it.

I can't argue those points but Houge and Pachmayr both offer grips for it and a Wolff spring kit and a set of shims makes a nice improvement on the trigger. I currently own a 4" GP100 and 4" and 2.75" Security Sixes. The 4" Security Six will probably get sold here soon but that has more to do with my waning interest in wheelguns than it's viability as a sidearm. The GP100 will eventually get sold to get a 7-shot GP100 or an 8-shot .357 Redhawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The SP 101 is slightly larger than an S&W J-Snub, and just large enough for me to shoot reasonably well, so that I am OK if the largest gun I am carrying is an SP101. There is not much clearance for a speed-loader, but I would rather not remove grip material, because I want every bit of that rubber to stay there, for better control of the weapon, and recoil mitigation. The best speed-load for an SP101 is another gun, at least for me. I really did carry multiple SP101 revolvers, for several years.

The GP100, with the original, pre-Hogue, square-butt OEM grip, fits me better than any handgun I have ever tried. I have read some accounts of the occasional QC issue, but a carefully-selected and vetted GP100 is my idea of the perfect defensive revolving pistol.

These are quite different handguns. The size gap actually IS substantial. Try to handle and test-shoot before making a buying decision.
    Interesting that you say that. I have a SP101 Spurless with Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips that I use in timed competition with speedloaders and have never had a problem. Use those same speedloaders on my LCR and it's a little tight but still doable.

Site Supporter
    I don't care for the SP101. If I can carry it, I can carry a GP100. If I can't carry a GP100, that's LCR territory.
    After using both, I wound up buying a LCR at a good price (9mm - makes my ammo logistics simple since I reload 9mm by volume). This pretty much kicks the SP101 out of the equation, enough so that I'll probably be selling my .22LR SP101 to fund the right GP100.

Thank you all for your feedback and opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelGunMan View Post
    Interesting that you say that. I have a SP101 Spurless with Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips that I use in timed competition with speedloaders and have never had a problem. Use those same speedloaders on my LCR and it's a little tight but still doable.
    I was not using Pachmayr grips, but the OEM Ruger grips. Presumbly, your Pachmayrs were molded to give more clearance to speed loaders. I have generally avoided Pachmayr grips on deep-concealment weapons, as clothing tends to cling to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I was not using Pachmayr grips, but the OEM Ruger grips. Presumbly, your Pachmayrs were molded to give more clearance to speed loaders. I have generally avoided Pachmayr grips on deep-concealment weapons, as clothing tends to cling to them.
    Actually the Pachmayr Diamond Pro's are a little stouter than the factory grips. That's why your statement surprised me.

I carry an LCR .357 as my EDC and I tried a set of the Diamond Pro's on it with similar "grabby" results plus they changed my grip alignment to where I was shooting way off point of aim..

Site Supporter
    If you have smaller hands, what kind of grips would you look at for the GP100?

User Tag List