Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 61

Thread: SP101 vs. GP100

  1. #41
    Lives to Enable Revolvers Stephanie B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East 860 by South 413
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Seriously though. Ruger needs to come out with a revolver that size again.
    No kidding. I guess they were losing too many sales to the L-frame. But Smith kept both the Ks and Ls in production. Ruger should have done the same. I don't buy the claim that Ruger lost money on every Security Six they sold. It'd take a special kind of stupid to keep making a money-losing product for sixteen years ("we make it up on volume").
    There's trouble on the streets tonight, I can feel it in my bones.

  2. #42
    Site Supporter tanner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Detroit adjacent.
    I like the SP101 for concealment. Wearing jeans and a t-shirt it virtually disappears.

    If I were hiking in the woods I would go with a GP100, either the 7 shot snub or the WC. The larger frame/grip makes it far more shootable with stout loads.

  3. #43
    Member cclaxton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Va
    The trigger on an SP101 can be better than the GP100 IMHO. The GP has a little bump in it, the 101 is smooth all the way. Your gunsmith experience may vary.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    No kidding. I guess they were losing too many sales to the L-frame. But Smith kept both the Ks and Ls in production. Ruger should have done the same. I don't buy the claim that Ruger lost money on every Security Six they sold. It'd take a special kind of stupid to keep making a money-losing product for sixteen years ("we make it up on volume").
    They sold a bunch to the Arm, and it takes truly outstanding stupidity to lose money that way.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    They sold a bunch to the Army, and it takes truly outstanding stupidity to lose money that way.
    Fixed it for myself.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

  6. #46
    Lives to Enable Revolvers Stephanie B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    East 860 by South 413
    Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    They sold a bunch to the Army, and it takes truly outstanding stupidity to lose money that way.
    The only reason to not price a gun for the Army to make a decent profit is if you think that by doing so, you'll get the fanbois and cop shops to also buy it.

    Exhibit 1: Beretta 92.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 04-05-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    There's trouble on the streets tonight, I can feel it in my bones.

  7. #47
    Site Supporter Rex G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    SE Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Are the security six guns similar in size to the k-frame?
    A Security Six is larger than a K-Frame. A well-made, tightly-fitted K-Frame holster will be too tight for a Security Six. Back in the day, one bought a Python/L-Frame-sized holster for a Security Six.

    A Speed Six or Service Six, due to having less metal in the top strap, can squeeze into a K-Frame holster.

  8. #48
    #LowLife4Life Bigghoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Anna Kendrick's fantasies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    A Security Six is larger than a K-Frame. A well-made, tightly-fitted K-Frame holster will be too tight for a Security Six. Back in the day, one bought a Python/L-Frame-sized holster for a Security Six.

    A Speed Six or Service Six, due to having less metal in the top strap, can squeeze into a K-Frame holster.
    OK but the Security Six is a lot closer in size to a K-frame than to a GP100.

  9. #49
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Texas
    So how much bigger would the SP101 be if they added a 6th chamber? Would it be pointless since we have the GP?

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    So how much bigger would the SP101 be if they added a 6th chamber?
    I think we are saying it would be the Security Six, that was replaced by the GP-100.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •