Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House Rifle Ballistics

House Rifle Ballistics

I have listened to the P&S Terminal Ballistics discussion, and others related to issues of using a rifle for home protection. Setting aside that I will have a pistol as a secondary gun, what is the best option for a rifle in the home?

1) 223Rem AR pistol in a 10.5" barrel format with a suppressor running Speer Gold Dot LE ammo;

2) Pistol Caliber Carbine in a 16" barrel and 9mm format running 124gr Federal HydraShok (Would +P help much?);

3) 300 AAC Blackout AR pistol in a 16" barrel with a linear comp running subsonic or supersonic high quality hollow points;

The ear-shattering sound inside a house can cause serious damage to hearing. The high speeds of the 223 and supersonic 300 may cause worse over-penetration. I have all three of these formats available.

This is how I see it:

A rifle is still much more accurate than my pistol, especially at longer distances, so there is a huge advantage to any of these three options.

Obviously the 223Rem and 300 AAC would provide the best terminal ballistics but I pay the price of ear-shattering noise and possible over-penetration issues.

I am leaning towards my MPX in 9mm with a 30 round mag and 124gr Hydrashok's (mainly because I already own a bunch of it). It keeps the sound to a reasonable level without a suppressor, and very reasonable with a suppressor. Perhaps I could increase terminal velocity with G2 ammo or some +p HP ammo, but my sense is that will only make a marginal difference.

I see the main advantage is accuracy at distance and a 30 round mag should get the job done. If not, I have a reload. Then, the question is do I really need to put a suppressor on it?

Or, should I really focus on a 223Rem solution with a suppressor?

I don't want to start a religious discussion here. I am interested in hearing from anyone who has real-world experience with PCC or gel-tests across these three.

Thanks in advance.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

The 5.56 tends to have less penetration than pistol calibers based on the data and tests I have seen.

How about an eight .300 BLK AR pistol with a brace?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Old man yelling at cloud OlongJohnson's Avatar
    "carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If you haven’t already, dig up old threads on NFA items for social work, etc.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I use a 11.5” 5.56 suppressed SBR with Hornady TAP SBR.
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You don’t really graduate from certain problems or certain things… like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I use a 11.5” 5.56 suppressed SBR with Hornady TAP SBR.
    For a suppressed 5.56 an 11.5” or 12.5” is > a 10.5” from a reliability stand point.

Do you shoot 300 BO for anything else ? If not 5.56.

If you aren’t running a short barrel and / or suppressor why bother with 300 BO ?

Re: penetration -Listen to Doc GKR on the podcast again.

5.56 defensive loads generally have less pentration in building materials than pistol calibers.

The MPX is a fine gun but 9mm will penetrate more than 5.56.

As someone with hearing loss and tinnitus I have no issues articulating the “why” of a suppresssor.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-30-2018 at 11:22 PM.

11.5-12.5" 5.56 mm w/suppressor is the best option; if no suppressor is available, then a 16" 5.56 mm--put some Sordins next to your rifle.

.300 BO is going to penetrate much deeper.

.300 subsonic is not ideal for defensive use, neither are pistol caliber carbines.

12 ga #1 buckshot works, as does good quality expanding M1 carbine ammo.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I have a Winchester Model 70, lefty action, .375 H&H, that should do pretty well for wrecking a house, and anyone inside inside the house, who happens to be in the bullets’ paths. I should still have at least one box of Sledgehammer Solids, from the days when we still thought seriously of doing a walk-about in Very Large Mammal habitat.

Well, what should one expect, posting this in General Discussion?

I have to question the utility of AR pistols and pistol-cartridge carbines. Why not use an AR15 rifle?

I have to question the “house” part, too. What if the fight starts inside the house, but moves outside the house? I may well WANT to take the fight outside; I can think of several reasons why I would do this, some of which are specific to the lay-outs and structural components of our primary home, and a secondary location in a wooded area. When seen as an inside/outside fight, I would rather not have an AR pistol, and any pistol-cartridge carbine had best be built to some very serious specifications.

E.T.A.: Largely due to being very comfortable with the platform, after carrying them on duty, for three-plus decades, I am quite OK with shotguns. A Benelli M2 is my current long gun for bumps in the night, after serving as my duty long gun for the final year of my LEO-ing. I have an AR15, and may shift to it, after I train-up, but that will have to wait until I rehab an injury. (I was in a patrol rifle program for a few years, so am familiar with the AR, but my knees and eyes aged-out of the necessary physical demands of the timed qual, and my skills have become rusty.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-31-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Site Supporter
    I know DocGKR has the best information. I recently SBR'd a SIG MPX 9mm pistol. Using Cmore rail mounted RDS. I recently got an AAC Tirant 9mm out of jail. Bought a 4.5 inch MPX barrel. Sig MPX SBR with 4.5 inch barrel and AAC Titrant suppressor is very nice. Manual of arms similar to ARs that I carried for decades. It is amazing how fast you can run the suppressed PCC through a IDPA/UPSA style course of fire. I have run hot 115s, normal 124s, and subsonic 147s - so far the MPX has eaten everything. Need to add a light. The suppressed PCC may have more penetration but is sure is handy and quick handling especially for MOUT. I am skipping the 300 BO because if have this SIG MPX rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Well, what should one expect, posting this in General Discussion?

I have to question the utility of AR pistols and pistol-cartridge carbines. Why not use an AR15 rifle?

I have to question the “house” part, too. What if the fight starts inside the house, but moves outside the house? I may well WANT to take the fight outside; I can think of several reasons why I would do this, some of which are specific to the lay-outs and structural components of our primary home, and a secondary location in a wooded area. When seen as an inside/outside fight, I would rather not have an AR pistol, and any pistol-cartridge carbine had best be built to some very serious specifications.

E.T.A.: Largely due to being very comfortable with the platform, after carrying them on duty, for three-plus decades, I am quite OK with shotguns.
    I picked the general forum since it really wasn't tactics, nor was it long gun specific. I almost posted in ammunition.
    I live in a suburban townhouse. Will soon live in Single Family Home but in suburb. Thus the in-home question. Although I can shoot the AR Pistol and MPX just as well at 50 yards. Anything beyond 50 is not likely defensive IMHO. I was hitting a 3in plate at 50 yards with my 10.5in AR pistol 90% of the time. That seems good enough to me. A full-sized AR Carbine is kinda big to be pieing corners in a smaller home. I like the smaller and shorter size of the AR pistol.
    As for the shotgun, just not accurate enough for me.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List