Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: House Rifle Ballistics

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    11.5-12.5" 5.56 mm w/suppressor is the best option; if no suppressor is available, then a 16" 5.56 mm--put some Sordins next to your rifle.

.300 BO is going to penetrate much deeper.

.300 subsonic is not ideal for defensive use, neither are pistol caliber carbines.

12 ga #1 buckshot works, as does good quality expanding M1 carbine ammo.
    Doc, have you chronographed AR pistols or SBR's at shorter barrel lengths? I have heard there is a dramatic reduction in velocities.
    Thanks,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Shooting a firearm in a confined space will assault the ears, whether it's a handgun, shotgun or rifle. But if I ever find myself in a life or death struggle inside my home, I figure I'll be too involved with keeping me and mine alive to worry about hearing damage. Death or deaf, I know what my choice will be. But that doesn't mean protecting our hearing should be ignored. I feel a 11.5 inch AR in 5.56 with a short suppressor is one of the best choices for house defense. Minimal wall penetration, good terminal ballistics, low recoil, handy length, easy to use & shoot accurately and while the report is still loud, it's not nearly as unpleasant as shooting unsuppressed.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Hearing damage is cumulative. I don't know where on the spectrum a couple rounds from a rifle or shotgun compares to a 8-10 pistol rounds, but I bet it's close to even.

Personally I feel that the platform that will end the fight in the least number of rounds fired is your best choice, and given the options I would take the 10.5" AR.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

txdpd--when tested in aggregate, 10.5" 5.56 mm AR15's are substantially less reliable than those with barrels in the 11.5"-12.5" range.

cclaxton--yes, we have extensively tested 10.5" Mk18's, 11.5" Colt Commando's, and 12.5" configurations.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    txdpd--when tested in aggregate, 10.5" 5.56 mm AR15's are substantially less reliable than those with barrels in the 11.5"-12.5" range.

cclaxton--yes, we have extensively tested 10.5" Mk18's, 11.5" Colt Commando's, and 12.5" configurations.
    Any velocities for 10 and 1/2 in?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Outside the box option: Styer AUG and a can?
    Last edited by David S.; 03-31-2018 at 08:37 PM.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Outside the box option: Styer AUG and a can?
    The AUG is a good gun but they are a little particular about cans.

Gas to the face is a big issue with cans on bullpups.

I shot a Tavor with an OSS can at an LE demo.it was neat because the OSS can vents out the front so very little GTF.

Found this great table showing velocity results of various length AR barrels. They made a long barrel, ran a bunch of different brands of ammo through it and put the results in this chart. Based on this I estimate my 10.5in muzzle velocity with HQ ammo would be about 2500FPS,more than enough to yaw and break.

The quote from this article stood out to me: "Every bullet has a minimum velocity at which it will expand. In the case of most bullets for the AR, the method of terminal effectiveness isn’t expansion but yaw and breakup. For instance, the typical 55 grain FMJ, used in bazillions of .223/5.56 rounds, needs to be going faster than 2,300 fps in order for it to yaw and break. Slower than that, and it is basically a high-speed knitting needle. If your barrel is so short that you can’t generate that kind of speed, even at the muzzle, you are not shooting a .223 anymore."

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/gunsmithi...#ixzz5BQGLE7tI

http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/201...city-table.gif
    Last edited by cclaxton; 04-01-2018 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Found this great table showing velocity results of various length AR barrels. They made a long barrel, ran a bunch of different brands of ammo through it and put the results in this chart. Based on this I estimate my 10.5in muzzle velocity with HQ ammo would be about 2500FPS,more than enough to yaw and break.

The quote from this article stood out to me: "[FONT="]Every bullet has a minimum velocity at which it will expand. In the case of most bullets for the AR, the method of terminal effectiveness isn’t expansion but yaw and breakup. For instance, the typical 55 grain FMJ, used in bazillions of .223/5.56 rounds, needs to be going faster than 2,300 fps in order for it to yaw and break. Slower than that, and it is basically a high-speed knitting needle. If your barrel is so short that you can’t generate that kind of speed, even at the muzzle, you are not shooting a .223 anymore."[/FONT]

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/gunsmithi...#ixzz5BQGLE7tI

Are you using FMJ loads for home defense?

User Tag List