Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vermont goes the way of Massachusetts, New York.....

Was Phil Scott a stealth candidate? (Democrat pretends to be Republican?)
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Was Phil Scott a stealth candidate? (Democrat pretends to be Republican?)
    I really don't think he was. As I said in another thread, I kind of casually know him as my dad went to high school with him and they have been on and off friends over the years. He was always a moderate republican business owner that eventually got into politics. As the lt governor, he tended to stick to his guns but that was a fairly low profile role. As a governor, he's been a complete disapointment. He's basically flopped at every turn. I'm not sure if that's a survival mechanism in a heavily blue state or what, but he only won in the first place because Vermonters were fed up with the very liberal Shumlin administration, which spent taxpayer dollars like it was going out of style. If it's a survival mechanism, it's a piss poor one because he just alienated the very people who got him elected. I'm pretty sure he won't be getting another term.

The funny thing is that prior to this, he was pretty openly pro gun. He's admitted during radio interviews that he own's multiple AR15's. I'm not sure what caused him to flip on this, but it was unexpected to say the least.
    Last edited by VT1032; 04-01-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    We are now embroiled in a culture war. See Glen's intellectual and well thought out posts on the subject.
    Well, I'm afraid we've lost the culture war and I don't see any way of winning it. Gradeschoolers can get suspended for drawing a gun or making a gun symbol with their hand--and in one case in NJ posting pictures of themselves at a firing range on social media that had nothing to do with the school.

Think of the way a homosexual would be treated in a school in the 1930s to get an approximation.

It also seems like every major celebrity has jumped on the anti-gun train, and organizations after the latest shooting have created new celebrity spokes-teenagers.
    Last edited by Ed L; 04-01-2018 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Well, I'm afraid we've lost the culture war and I don't see any way of winning it. Gradeschoolers can get suspended for drawing a gun or making a gun symbol with their hand--and in one case in NJ posting pictures of themselves at a firing range on social media that had nothing to do with the school.

Think of the way a homosexual would be treated in a school in the 1930s to get an approximation.

It also seems like every major celebrity has jumped on the anti-gun train, and organizations after the latest shooting have created new celebrity spokes-teenagers.
    I disagree. Many people will reflexively disagree with the coasts and celebrity opinion, states (like Utah) are statutorily protecting free-range parenting, gun sales are increasing instead of decreasing, more and more people are getting CCWs, millennials are watching cooking shows where guys like Anthony Bourdain hunt food for the table with rifles, and eventually you will as the same sort of backlash that we saw during the midterm elections in the Clinton years, only this time it will be against the coastal liberals.

I bet the Rs will keep Congress. If history has taught us anything, it that the more shrill the hand wringers and main stream media get, the more scared they are about their chances of winning. Right now they’re pretty shrill.

I was watching a rerun of some stupid show from the early 80s the other day. The anti-gun message was well beyond anything we see today and clearly supportive of total bans on everything. I’m sure guys like us back then were saying we lost the culture war, and look where we are now.

The celebs think they define the media, but the voters are the ones making the decision in the end. Guns aren’t going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TSH View Post
    I disagree.
    I hope you are right and I am just being pesimistic.

I hope you are right and I am just being pesimistic.
    A culture of entitled helplessness cannot and will not long continue.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

One less state I need to visit. No loss.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A culture of entitled helplessness cannot and will not long continue.
    But they can do a lot of damage if enough of them take to the political and voting arena, and mess up the country as well. Can you imagine if we somehow had a major war and had to draft these people? (I can't find the vomiting smiley to follow my post).
    Last edited by Ed L; 04-01-2018 at 10:18 PM.

May many/all of the residents of VT take this up as their new flag.

Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

But they can do a lot of damage if enough of them take to the political and voting arena, and mess up the country as well. Can you imagine if we somehow had a major war and had to draft these people? (I can't find the vomiting smiley to follow my post).
    It only looks bad because they are noisy, outspoken, and obnoxious. They give the appearance of numbers by using social media to spread their nonsense, aided by sycophants in the media.

The NRA, GOA, etc are receiving tons of donations and ammo is selling as fast as it’s produced. It’s not just a bunch of fat old white guys driving that trend - it’s people from all walks of life.

User Tag List