Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15s on Motorcycles

AR-15s on Motorcycles

The latest accessory for Tempe police motorcycles is causing double-takes in this Phoenix suburb: a rear-mounted AR-15 rifle. The department quietly has outfitted eight of its duty motorcycles, more than half, with the upright mounts for semiautomatic rifles. Pointed at the ground, the black AR-15s add an eye-catching and militaristic look to the bikes. The mounts have a tricky release system that doesn't allow easy access by the public while the motorcycles are out and about, according to Tempe police Commander Michael Pooley.
    http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...ycles-10256049
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 04-07-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Fixed URL

They better be prepared to clean them often. I remember what my duty pistol would look like after a week of being on the bike. Im guessing Tempe doesn't have to deal with much rain. Rust and road grit was wreaked havoc on my 226.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    They better be prepared to clean them often. I remember what my duty pistol would look like after a week of being on the bike. Im guessing Tempe doesn't have to deal with much rain. Rust and road grit was wreaked havoc on my 226.
    Not much rain for most of the year, no. Dust storms, though.

If it’s raining out our Motors park their bikes and take cars. Not much rain in the Valley of the Sun.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Pics of my 226 after not being cleaned for two weeks and a few rain showers. It might work for Tempe because of their climate, but it would suck on the Gulf Coast.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Pics of my 226 after not being cleaned for two weeks and a few rain showers. It might work for Tempe because of their climate, but it would suck on the Gulf Coast.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Sweet Jesus.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Interesting on many fronts.

Not the least of which is the mixed stable for Tempe motor officers: ST1300 on the left and, best guess, an R1200RT on the right. Wonder which bike is the latest to be adopted, and what went into the decision to switch.

Name:  tempe-pd-gun-motos.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  80.3 KB

And Andre, that 226 pic! WOW!

I own an ST1100, the predecessor of the 1300. I rarely saw one used stateside by LE but saw plenty in Europe (where it was designed). Having ridden both bikes on interstate rides, I personally found the ST to be a better long distance bike and more comfortable for long hours in the saddle. The Beemer was a close second.

I had a lot of fun riding with local motor cops from the greater Phoenix area to Tortilla Flat some years ago. It'd have been fun to have an AR mounted but I settled for a Glock in a fanny pack.
    Last edited by blues; 04-07-2018 at 11:55 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

My local PD has been running them for a few years on the back of their motorcycles. I was surprised when I heard the media making such a big stink about it in the linked article. I just assumed it’s been around a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

I like the idea of motorcycle cops having long guns, but it seems like some kind of rifle boot or scabbard is in order.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List