Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with My Grip

Need Help with My Grip

I am shooting full-size, soft recoiling 9 mm pistols. Smith & Wesson M &P, and HK VP9. Both are stippled. No problem assuming a good grip, but as the pistol recoils my third, fourth and fifth shooting hand fingernails start digging into the palm of my support hand. By the end of a string, my fingernails have left quite an impression in my flesh.

Obviously I have experimented with the various palm swells/back straps/grip panels available, but with no relief. It seems the harder I grip the gun, the more pain I cause myself. Can anyone suggest anything? Many thanks

I’m still learning, but I’ve owned both of these guns.

Is it possible to take a picture or video of your normal shooting grip and post it here?

Get use to it or trim your nails.

I have the same problem. Just last week I bought an extra nail trimmer and put it in my range bag. It may look a little weird at the indoor range but I am sure it will help.

I don't like to rely on any added device or modification to my defensive gun beyond sights or something permanent like stippling but maybe something like this could help.

https://cpwsa.com/products/warren-ta...-assist-sleeve

One possibility is to try and make micro adjustments. Micro adjustment can be made during recoil, and Iam refering to readjusting your grip to increase pressure where it counts vs. your finger nails.

I'm still working it out. I get a blister on my SH middle finger (where the distal pad of my weak hand digits rest on it) iduring multi day high round count courses. I'm 90% sure that shouldn't happen and that I should be able to fix it somewhere else in my technique.

Site Supporter
    You could wear a glove on your support hand.

How are your bringing your support hand on to the gun? If I start by applying the palm/base of thumb onto the gun first and then wrap my fingers around, I'll experience the same thing you do. If I pinch and roll or start by wrapping my fingers before the palm/base of thumb comes around and onto the gun then I do not.

This is a good thing. It shows that you're gripping hard with your support hand. Trim your nails, maybe try a larger grip insert. Then just suck it up, buttercup. Callouses will come.

And... (sorry to argue with pangloss) a glove is a bad idea. No top level shooter uses one, and you're not going to be wearing one in a defensive situation.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Gloves just get in the way, only wear them if you really have to for environmental/job reasons.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List