Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cell phones, the biggest officer safety issue today.

I had a flip phone for years and swore I would never get a smart phone. Until I got promoted to Sgt and had a team of 10 guys texting me frequently. I couldn't keep up on a flip phone with the press the #3 key three times to get a "C" etc type typing. I switched to a smart phone and it helped tremendously in doing the job and I liked it for personal use. I used it then as an all in one camera, faster/easier texting device, GPS navigation replacement, calendar and phone. I added a pill look up app, Hero 911, Radar now, and a couple other apps. I never used it for social media (almost no one at my agency had a FB account after a negative incident) and rarely for email or internet search.

Obviously they can be great tools if used wisely and significant impediments and safety risks if not. Finding the balance is more personal than policy but both are important. The use of the devices for scanning VIN, Electronic citation issuance,licenses and the like will likely mean more use for the job.

It is important to separate job use from personal as if you take a photo to be used for evidence purposes the personal phone can wind up in the hands of prosecutors and defense lawyers. Our legal council addressed this at a legal update and personal use went way down as it should.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post

By-the-by. They kept saying in the article that they didn't know if the idiot fired at the cop, but in the video, there is a moment when smoke comes from the muzzle of his gun coinciding with the sound of a shot. So, whether he did at the beginning of the dance or not, he did try to get a round off at the officer.
    I thought it was smoke from the gun the first time I watched it. When I re-watched it I noticed the puff is from the officer shooting the window next to the guy.

I did not click on the link, because visiting the Houston Chronicle’s site tends to result in infections/infestations in my electronic devices. Living in the Houston area, I used to visit their website daily, but had to stop.

I strongly agree that using mobile devices, while on patrol, can be hazardous to one’s health.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-31-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    This seems to be appropriate:

Name:  phone-snark.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  67.5 KB
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Nevermind
    Last edited by camsdaddy; 03-31-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: DELETE

My cell is about as important as my MDT. I frequently use the GPS to get to calls and but mainly it's a tool I use to disseminate information to my squad. We use the groupme app to set up briefing locations, exchange warrant info, post up photos of suspects, etc. It's the fastest way to get information to 12 guys at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The smart phone helps me in lots of different ways.
    I can screenshot lab reports and send those to the DA’s office and/or Officers when they need them. It has helped me lookup various chemical processes in the field. The video camera is handy for recording interviews in the field. Sometimes Officers will be on calls and are unable to adequately describe what they are looking at, if they can safely take a picture and send it that helps tremendously.

However, just like anything else, the smartphone has to be used responsibly. I see Officers all the time are texting, chatting, recording or doing who knows what when they should have their head up and paying attention to their surroundings. On a call is not the time to be posting on IG or FB.

We talk about criminals broadcasting their entire lives on FB. Police are just as bad in many instances.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Pagers. Wow, Tom can we get an Old English Font for old school posts ?
    Actually, it was the pager and a bag phone for really high speed.....
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    We still have pagers in rural TN. You’re REALLY bomber if you had an alphanumeric pager back in the day!

civiliandefender.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post

I had both. The bag phones were great out in the brush. Crazy strong signal.

User Tag List