Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polymer and the cold

I have a 2.0 that does this with some and not other magazines. The ones that drag when loaded measure .006 or so wider than the ones that do not drag. My 1st model M&Ps do not do this but did notice it on the 2.0 model.

The ones that drag loaded will drop free after being fired empty. I marked them and just use them on the range. Plan to hit them on a belt sander down to the size of the others and see if that corrects the issue but have not bothered with that yet.
    Last edited by Patrick Taylor; 04-01-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Taylor View Post
    I have a 2.0 that does this with some and not other magazines. The ones that drag when loaded measure .006 or so wider than the ones that do not drag. My 1st model M&Ps do not do this but did notice it on the 2.0 model.

The ones that drag loaded will drop free after being fired empty. I marked them and just use them on the range. Plan to hit them on a belt sander down to the size of the others and see if that corrects the issue but have not bothered with that yet.

The ones that do not drop free, is the problem always there? Or is it only when they get cold?

Oh, and now I'm gonna put a caliper on all my mags (loaded and empty). I remember which one I was using when I left it in the car.
    Last edited by JATA; 04-01-2018 at 03:23 PM.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

First noticed it when loading up in the house one morning and everything was room temp so I don't think it is a temp issue. I have not tried any tests with the fridge to check temp as an issue. Just recently measured a few mags and there is a little difference from mag to mag. I also seem to have less trouble loading to 14 instead of the full 15 rounds.
    Last edited by Patrick Taylor; 04-01-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Just did it again. Same gun, same mag, left in car for apx 13 hours, temp hit 29* When I got off work, I checked it right away. Mag would not free fall and stuck with exactly the same amount of mag sticking out of the well. This time - I took several minutes to inspect the mag and well to rule out any debris or moisture. I also took a spare mag which was just as cold (stored in the same car and loaded with the same ammo). It also would not drop free, stopping at exactly the same point. I reinserted the original mag, still hanging up and stuck the freezing cold weapon in my waistband under my shirt (less than comfortable, but it is for science, so hey). When I got home, about 12-15 minutes later, I pulled the weapon out and the mag dropped freely.

I have ruled everything, other than temperature change, out. It is most definitely caused by the changing temperature. I do not know whether it the weapon or mag that is changing size enough to cause a problem but these 2.0's really do have rather thin grips. So...
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Did a fridge test....it does make the mags hang up worse.

Site Supporter
    I don't have an M&P 2.0, but I do have an M&P9 1.0 FS.

I cleaned the mag well with alcohol and the and magazine with Gun Scrubber to remove any oil. An empty OEM mag dropped free.

I placed the pistol with mag inserted in a 37F refrigerator for 12 hours (sorry, couldn't lower the fridge temp as GF wasn't too happy about a pistol being in there, changing temps would have caused lots of drama). After 12 hours, the empty mag still dropped free.

I placed both in a 0F freezer for 12 hours. It frosted up within seconds of being removed from the freezer (my house temperature is 75F). The mag would only drop an inch. I pulled out the mag and wiped off the frost on the mag. It would now drop half way. Pulled the mag out again and held it in my hand for 30 seconds. It would now drop free.

Attachment 24980
    Last edited by SiriusBlunder; 04-02-2018 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Spelling/Grammer

My PX4 I had many years ago would do this. I found out just before the indoor nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    My PX4 I had many years ago would do this. I found out just before the indoor nationals.
    That is interesting. I've open carried my PX4 in cold temperatures at the range and never encountered this issue.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I just put mine in the freezer so we will see how it does later today.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Well I’ll be damnd, I just took it out of the freezer and sure enough the mag would not drop. I checked prior putting it in and it dropped normally. I will let it warm up and see if it starts to work properly.

It's an M&P compact BTW.
    Last edited by 5pins; 04-02-2018 at 07:51 AM.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List