Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magpul SGA + Light vs. Surefire DSF

I prefer a pistol light on the Magpul forend... just works a little easier for me.

It also allows me to use a light that can be utilized on different firearms. A Surefire forend can only be used on that type of firearm. A TLR-1 on my TAC-14 can work on my SP-01, .45 AR, and any other firearm with a rail.

At @jlw 's suggestion, I went with Fab Defense forend and a WML. I'll either run my x300 or an Inforce on it. Here's one for $36 on Fleabay

I've mounted it and it's sitting in my safe, ready to rumble, but haven't had a chance to run it through it's paces. Happy with it so far.
    David S.

I prefer surefires. Then a light at 11oclock mounted to the magazine. Last is a light on the forend, especially lights with toggles.
    Attachment 24963

I picked up an 870P for $240 from GT Distributors this weekend, so I'll leave my known good 870 setup alone and experiment with this one.

If I wanted to keep the OEM forend, how would I do both a light and a sling attachment, other than Holmes' method?
    Last edited by Guerrero; 08-21-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    If I wanted to keep the OEM forend, how would I do both a light and a sling attachment, other than Holmes' method?
    CDM Gear makes barrel clamp with a QD socket on one side and Weaver rail on the other

Name:  DAB63D5A-13E8-4968-8DEA-6C03E7EE3307.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  23.9 KB

Here's how I have one set up:
    Name:  P1070593 W .jpg
Views: 639
Size:  52.7 KB

The mount is one of the inexpensive aluminum tri-rails from Amazon. I shaved the side rails away and refinished it. A Weaver 1" ring holds the light on the remaining lower mount rail. Very secure. The sling mount is the Magpul clamp with the QD attachment. The light is a Fab Defense Speedlight G2.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    personally, I despise the surefire forend. I got one in a trade and used it for a little bit, but I've since taken it back off. It forces me to hold it much further back than I prefer. It also beats my hand under recoil. I had to completely adjust the way I was holding it. I gave it a fair chance with 500 rounds through that setup. For he price, bulk, and weight, it still isn't that bright.

Likewise, I tried a number of setups attaching a light to the magpul forend and still had issues with it crushing my hand in recoil. Instead, I prefer mounting the light in front of the forend (using a clicky handheld mounted to a rail section). It's more comfortable to shoot, and I have more control of the light... it's either on or off, and it's not going to do either accidentally. I've seen people argue against that, saying they want momentary only and attached to the forend... For me, that's 1) impossible to do with any reliability, and 2) insanely painful. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    There are three generations of the surefire DSF. the first generation is not bad. The second gen had the negatives you describe. The current third gen still has some of those issues. It’s better than the Gen 2 but not as good as the original with a LED upgrade.

Either way, on a pump shotgun I want the light on the fore-end not mounted to the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Either way, on a pump shotgun I want the light on the fore-end not mounted to the magazine.
    Maybe a better question is why do some people prefer the light on the fore-end or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Maybe a better question is why do some people prefer the light on the fore-end or not?
    I don't like lights attached to the fore-end. The corners make for sore thumbs. Toggle switches lead to light NDs.

Lights on the tube fix both of those problems.

I do think the surefire is the best bet though.

User Tag List