Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magpul SGA + Light vs. Surefire DSF

Magpul SGA + Light vs. Surefire DSF

Currently my gun has a Surefire 600-series DSF forend mounted on it. I'm mostly happy with it except for the weight and the occasional light ND when grabbing the gun.

I'm considering getting into a Magpul SGA setup -- haven't decided on the light or the means of mounting. For those of you who have tried both, which did you prefer and why? Am I downgrading by going to the SGA forend?

I have an 870 with a first-generation Surefire foreend and an 870 with a Magpul, short rail, and handheld Surefire in a quick-release mount.

My opinion is the current DSF foreends have more features than I need or want. I just want a reliable light, reasonably good brightness and pattern, and the ability to do momentary or constant. I get all of that with the Magpul and handheld. Being able to separate the light from the gun is handy, too.

It did take me a while to find a position that worked intuitively and didn't have the light too far from my hand or banging into my fingers. The Surefire definitely has the ergonomic/instinctive edge. Overall, though, I'm more inclined to replace the dedicated foreend on the first 870 with a Magpul/Surefire combo than to go the other way.

personally, I despise the surefire forend. I got one in a trade and used it for a little bit, but I've since taken it back off. It forces me to hold it much further back than I prefer. It also beats my hand under recoil. I had to completely adjust the way I was holding it. I gave it a fair chance with 500 rounds through that setup. For he price, bulk, and weight, it still isn't that bright.

Likewise, I tried a number of setups attaching a light to the magpul forend and still had issues with it crushing my hand in recoil. Instead, I prefer mounting the light in front of the forend (using a clicky handheld mounted to a rail section). It's more comfortable to shoot, and I have more control of the light... it's either on or off, and it's not going to do either accidentally. I've seen people argue against that, saying they want momentary only and attached to the forend... For me, that's 1) impossible to do with any reliability, and 2) insanely painful. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, and other fun shotgun stuff.

Played around with a lot of configurations over the years including an early Surefire. This is what I've settled on and have been using for about 3 years now. Momentary. full on, large button, works for me going right handed or wrong handed.

Name:  P1070593 1200 .jpg
Views: 2752
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  P1070594 1200 .jpg
Views: 2068
Size:  65.4 KB
    Last edited by Holmes375; 03-31-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    Played around with a lot of configurations over the years including an early Surefire. This is what I've settled on and have been using for about 3 years now. Momentary. full on, large button, works for me going right handed or wrong handed.

Name:  P1070593 1200 .jpg
Views: 2752
Size:  58.8 KB

Name:  P1070594 1200 .jpg
Views: 2068
Size:  65.4 KB
    That looks nice... where’d you get the rail?

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    That looks nice... where’d you get the rail?
    That's one of the cheapy aluminum tri-rails, believe I picked it up on Amazon. I shaved off the 3:00 and 9:00 rails, refinished it and presto... custom light attachment

Add in a Weaver 1" scope ring and its good to go. Very solid, removes with a coin.

Name:  P1070598 1024 .jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  70.1 KB

I haven't had any issues with the Surefire DSF forend in terms of reliability or discomfort from recoil impact. (It is a tad heavy...but smoother than the OEM forend on my 870.)

It felt a bit unwieldy, (forward weighted), to me until I shortened the LOP with the Magpul SGA stock which made a world of difference.

Obviously, opinions will differ according to personal taste and physical characteristics.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes375 View Post
    That's one of the cheapy aluminum tri-rails, believe I picked it up on Amazon. I shaved off the 3:00 and 9:00 rails, refinished it and presto... custom light attachment

Add in a Weaver 1" scope ring and its good to go. Very solid, removes with a coin.

Name:  P1070598 1024 .jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  70.1 KB
    Is that a QD sling mount - who made that? Thanks

I mount my lights on a short rail on the left side of the Magpul SGA forend. It illuminates the front sight, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Is that a QD sling mount - who made that? Thanks
    Its a Magpul forward mount. With the clip loop removed it takes QD push button swivels.

https://www.magpul.com/products/forw...ssberg-500-590

User Tag List