Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimped Primer Pockets on Commercial Brass?

Site Supporter

Crimped Primer Pockets on Commercial Brass?

So, I shoot lots of 9mm every year and go on loading binges in the Spring and Fall since I've been banished to the garage for reloading. I had gone through about 20K of once fired Federal AE and HST brass with great results, but I don't have anymore of that left. So....I started on a bunch of mixed commercial brass and started having primer seating difficulties with most of the Winchester commercial brass (not their NATO mil loads). The primer pockets appeared to have the mil crimp on them. Am I imagining this or is this something you guys have observed already. It's a PITA for sure!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    So, I shoot lots of 9mm every year and go on loading binges in the Spring and Fall since I've been banished to the garage for reloading. I had gone through about 20K of once fired Federal AE and HST brass with great results, but I don't have anymore of that left. So....I started on a bunch of mixed commercial brass and started having primer seating difficulties with most of the Winchester commercial brass (not their NATO mil loads). The primer pockets appeared to have the mil crimp on them. Am I imagining this or is this something you guys have observed already. It's a PITA for sure!
    I've seen it on some S&B brass, but never Winchester, have you tried swedging/ reaming them?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I've seen it on some S&B brass, but never Winchester, have you tried swedging/ reaming them?
    No, I haven't swaged the primer pockets, nor am I inclined to do so. I have more 9mm brass I can use without slowing myself down swaging. I may take a bunch to a commercial reloading brass processor and let them roll size, ream pockets, clean, etc. It's worth the money to me..

Wayne, I find that on my 650 with CCI's, I can seat fine with Nato brass and and others. My fatal foe is Federal 9mm NT brass. I've only successfully seated 1 primer in one of those cases. The rest have been as tight as prom night. We shoot the NT 147gr TMJ stuff at work and of the few that reload, none of us have 1050's so the city's brass is safe LOL
    Blue Bullets Team dude

Quote Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post
    Wayne, I find that on my 650 with CCI's, I can seat fine with Nato brass and and others. My fatal foe is Federal 9mm NT brass. I've only successfully seated 1 primer in one of those cases. The rest have been as tight as prom night. We shoot the NT 147gr TMJ stuff at work and of the few that reload, none of us have 1050's so the city's brass is safe LOL
    Yeah I’m pretty sure the FC NT brass is all crimped. I’ve culled (from what I’ve found thus far) all crimped primer pocket brass into a separate container for whenever I get a 1050 or decide to just sell the brass. Hand seating is just straight up not worth it.

I’ve never had problems with Winchester commercial brass though nor have I encountered any that were crimped. If they definitely are crimped, it just chucks them or set them aside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not seen Winchester 9x19 brass with crimped primers without a WCC (military) headstamp. The "Q" load 124gr ball, and the Ranger equivalent are the only ones I've seen crimped. That said, I have seen (a long time ago in a galaxy far away) WWB that had red primer sealant, but no crimp.

I'd just toss it in the recycle bucket, unless I had a lot of it that made it worth the extra processing. I have some white box FC ball that has crimped primers, and that is what I do with that brass.

Site Supporter
    I've found a DFW area commercial reloading guy (my long time guy passed away a couple years ago) that will fully process my brass for me. Includes leak/crack check, deprime, size, roll size the base, ream and clean/polish for $15.00/thousand. He's about to get about 15K of once fired from me.

I was bored and it was raining, so I went through a little nest of crimped 9mm. I decapped and reamed, then ran them through the Dillon. The military cases were not hard, but the Federal NT was TIGHT. I failed to ream a couple enough and tossed them with a crunched primer. Next Fed NT I see will be scrapped.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post
    Yeah, CCIs can be shoved in most crimped pockets. My favorite primer for stock guns.

Wayne, a while back I had some WWB 100 pks. that had crimped primer pockets. Seems like it was a year or so ago maybe. That was the last time I bought any Winchester ammunition due to QC issues I have experienced. Running across a crimped primer pocket is a PITA, kinda like running across a 45 Auto case with a small primer pocket.

User Tag List