Thread: Side Saddle / Shell Carrier for 590, 3-gun type match.

Side Saddle / Shell Carrier for 590, 3-gun type match.

I'm gearing up for my first match using the 590A1. I bought and have been using a Tac-Star side saddle. Disassembly of the action to clean sucks big time as the side saddle requires going inside the action to remove hardware, then the saddle, then the other internal components.

Please recommend a different carrier for 3-gun type shooting. Budget < ~$50.

How many rounds are your stage(s)? Side saddles are slow, some of the belt mounted options will be faster. In 3-gun shotgun shotgun there's a pretty big disconnect between what works in competition and what works on street.

You only need to take it completely apart every couple thousand rounds to clean the internals.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    How many rounds are your stage(s)? Side saddles are slow, some of the belt mounted options will be faster. In 3-gun shotgun shotgun there's a pretty big disconnect between what works in competition and what works on street.

You only need to take it completely apart every couple thousand rounds to clean the internals.
    Stages - unknown. Total for the day is 250 with mix of birdshot, some buck and slugs. I had not considered the belt options. I'll check it out.

ETA: Would a dump pouch be an option? I'm guessing you would risk shells falling out while running.
    Last edited by 2xAGM114; 03-29-2018 at 04:16 AM.

If you have a dump pouch, use that until you see what people use at the match.

You might see products like these being used.

https://www.safariland.com/miscellan...8.html#start=1

http://www.safariland.com/products/h...sz=12&start=31

I use Velcro and esstac cards

Most 3GN stuff is done with caddies on the belt or chest mounted...what you want is going to depend on how you want to load. Weak hand off a sidesaddle is slow, off a caddy is what was winning matches 5+ years ago, Twins either weak or strong hand is fast but currently Quads either weak or strong hand is king. Figure out how you want to load and get the appropriate gear.

Fwiw I don't use caddies but they will be more competitive. I am not a pro shooter and I use competitions to see how my actual stuff works.

Valid. I'll probably do the same.

Thanks all for the inputs.

User Tag List