Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lake Arthur NM in the news

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I know a few guys who retired from the Feds and went this route, becoming TX Peace Officers but if I recall correctly you must do it within 4 years of retiring or otherwise leaving your last full time LE job.

THey are all working full time gigs, though usually as investigators and courthouse Deputies.

Many Texas Officers will become reserves when the retire in order to retain their commission / license.
    Yep. I have been retired for ten years. I went out on a full medical and was still fairly jacked up medically up to a few years ago where ever returning to cop work was a non starter as I would have been a hazard to everyone around me in some instances. In the last couple of years I started getting some feeling back in my foot that was basically dead for about seven years. I have more ability now and could likely grit through an academy. In 1988 I went through one of the toughest academies in the country that prides itself in drop out ratios not success ratios. I am a bit scarred from that. I am at the point where I have a LEOSA ID that was earned, held an Advanced POST from CALIFORNIA, and am battling the weight of going through a full academy to work for free. I figure if I do the academy, I want a paying job when it is over. So, I do basically what the Lake Arthur “reserves” are doing. Ride with the guys, and provide training. It just doesn’t come with any benefit other than the satisfaction of being part of an LE family with no other perks. Texas is very serious about how they certify cops because if “buddy badge” abuses. We are in a very different time with very different risks to agencies and for the perception of LE in general. Simply look at the biggest news headlines about Lake Arthur PD. It isn’t anything I would call positive.

Some things in life need to be earned and not bought for a lot of reasons. I wonder if the former Mil guys carrying Lake Arthur PD badges would be okay with “the fight people” getting badged into their old units without passing even basic boot camp? Is there a price that you can simply pay for a SEAL Trident, a Green Beret, or how do we feel about folks wearing a “Once a Marine always a Marine” shirt because they “hung out a lot” at Camp Pendleton. If it is totally cool, I need to get on Amazon and order some military bling.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 04-26-2018 at 06:45 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Yep. I have been retired for ten years. I went out on a full medical and was still fairly jacked up medically up to a few years ago where ever returning to cop work was a non starter as I would have been a hazard to everyone around me in some instances. In the last couple of years I started getting some feeling back in my foot that was basically dead for about seven years. I have more ability now and could likely grit through an academy. In 1988 I went through one of the toughest academies in the country that prides itself in drop out ratios not success ratios. I am a bit scarred from that. I am at the point where I have a LEOSA ID that was earned, held an Advanced POST from CALIFORNIA, and am battling the weight of going through a full academy to work for free. I figure if I do the academy, I want a paying job when it is over. So, I do basically what the Lake Arthur “reserves” are doing. Ride with the guys, and provide training. It just doesn’t come with any benefit other than the satisfaction of being part of an LE family with no other perks. Texas is very serious about how they certify cops because if “buddy badge” abuses. We are in a very different time with very different risks to agencies and for the perception of LE in general. Simply look at the biggest news headlines about Lake Arthur PD. It isn’t anything I would call positive.

Some things in life need to be earned and not bought for a lot of reasons. I wonder if the former Mil guys carrying Lake Arthur PD badges would be okay with “the fight people” getting badged into their old units without passing even basic boot camp? Is there a price that you can simply pay for a SEAL Trident, a Green Beret, or how do we feel about folks wearing a “Once a Marine always a Marine” shirt because they “hung out a lot” at Camp Pendleton. If it is totally cool, I need to get on Amazon and order some military bling.
    Don't do it, dude. I cannot imagine that it would be worth it in the end. You've got your own company, you're your own boss.....you're giving back on your terms. You and I both know that just because the Chief LEO at whatever agency you're helping out is a 10-8 door kicker now.... eventually some dickwad windowlicker will be in that position. I've got 3 3/4 years to go....and I have no intention of ever getting back in the pool. The water isn't fine, and it's getting colder every day.

ETA: And in regards to some military folks transitioning into full time LE work...some don't really adapt all that well, including SOF folks. It's a really different job, and I see a lot of guys coming back from doing stuff overseas who see too much of the LE job as stupid bullshit that shouldn't apply to them. They may be very impressive warfighters, but some of the ones I'm personally aquainted with aren't very good cops.
    Last edited by AMC; 03-31-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Don't do it, dude. I cannot imagine that it would be worth it in the end. You've got your own company, you're your own boss.....you're giving back on your terms. You and I both know that just because the Chief LEO at whatever agency you're helping out is a 10-8 door kicker now.... eventually some dickwad windowlicker will be in that position. I've got 3 3/4 years to go....and I have no intention of ever getting back in the pool. The water isn't fine, and it's getting colder every day.

ETA: And in regards to some military folks transitioning into full time LE work...some don't really adapt all that well, including SOF folks. It's a really different job, and I see a lot of guys coming back from doing stuff overseas who see too much of the LE job as stupid bullshit that shouldn't apply to them. They may be very impressive warfighters, but some of the ones I'm personally aquainted with aren't very good cops.
    Funny......so earlier today I was talking to an off-duty deputy that works for me on he day job. He has dove in deep with a Search & Rescue team. Based on talking to him, and looking at their needs in some specialized stuff like Crime scene work, mantracking and helicopter stuff, I think both my wife and I could be an asset to their organization and will likely head down that road. I figure I already did the hard stuff on the LE side, have as much creds. as I ll ever need and training the SRT Guys is probably as deep as I really need to get my foot back in the game.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Site Supporter
    DB,

Our local Schutzhund club just certified a cadaver/search and rescue dog and a search and rescue dog for the next county up. The training director is Master Instructor and Canine SME for the state. What I am learning about handling a S&R canine is very interesting...

I can also put the "Do Not Pet" placard on my plate carrier at my day....er night job.

pat

http://www.krqe.com/news/investigati...me/1143209880#

A lot of names are missing from the roster. Some smart enough to see a train wreck, others because of likely abuse before the current spotlight. I know a bunch, and worked with several on details.

I have no involvement in the firearms industry, and I recognize a few names on that list.

Seems to be a local enough issue that it probably won’t affect the “reserve officers”
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

I recognized way more names on that list than I thought I would.

The more notable ones:

Dan Bilzerian
    Chuck Pressburg
    Jason Falla
    Mark Larue
    Duane Liptak
    Marcus Luttrell
    Royce Gracie
    Royler Gracie

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post

The more notable ones:

Dan Bilzerian
    Chuck Pressburg
    Jason Falla
    Mark Larue
    Duane Liptak
    Marcus Luttrell
    Royce Gracie
    Royler Gracie
    Pathetic.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I was actually surprised by how many of the names on that list I recognized. Lake Arthur really was a badge factory and it kind of ticks me off. All it took to get LE credentials was $400 a year as long as you were someone the chief thought was a cool guy?

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post

The more notable ones:

Dan Bilzerian
    Chuck Pressburg
    Jason Falla
    Mark Larue
    Duane Liptak
    Marcus Luttrell
    Royce Gracie
    Royler Gracie
    I recognize most of those names, but who are Falla, Liptak, and Pressburg ?

User Tag List