Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI on Primary Arms 1-8X Scope with ACSS 5.56 / 5.45 / .308 Reticle

RFI on Primary Arms 1-8X Scope with ACSS 5.56 / 5.45 / .308 Reticle

With my eyes getting older I need a LPVO for my rifle. I am eying this one and would like to hear from anyone who has knowledge of it.

If there is something better in this price range please give me a suggestion. My uses are home security, training and occasional LGR match.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...ign=pa-product

Also looking at this one which is 1-4
    https://dsgarms.com/bur200426

Thanks, SCD
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 03-28-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    With my eyes getting older I need a LPVO for my rifle. I am eying this one and would like to hear from anyone who has knowledge of it.

If there is something better in this price range please give me a suggestion. My uses are home security, training and occasional LGR match.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...ign=pa-product

Also looking at this one which is 1-4
    https://dsgarms.com/bur200426

Thanks, SCD
    The Primary arms is ok for a range toy. Like the closely related (Made in same factory) Vortex strike Eagle, they have some durability issues.

For slightly more $$$ the Steiner 1-4 P4xi will do everything you are looking for.

Site Supporter
    I am a fan of the Primary Arms ACSS line - I have three of the 1-6 on carbine ARs and two of the 4-14 on "long range" AR rifle - one 6.5 Grendel (ACSS "holds for 308 work for 6.5G for me) and one 223 20 inch AR. I just received a PA 1-8 that I will swap with one of the 1-6s. I have had no issues with the PA "ACSS" series scopes - I have used for an AR carbine class and I have used the 4-14s hunting and out to 800 yards at a long range facility.

I do not carry a rifle for a living anymore and I have to buy my own stuff now - I am happy with the PA ACSS line for the service it provides at an appealing price point.

I would be interesting in hearing of any PA ACSS series failures. There are certainly better quality glass, "firmer" clicking knobs, etc. but that is a price point issue.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I am a fan of the Primary Arms ACSS line - I have three of the 1-6 on carbine ARs and two of the 4-14 on "long range" AR rifle - one 6.5 Grendel (ACSS "holds for 308 work for 6.5G for me) and one 223 20 inch AR. I just received a PA 1-8 that I will swap with one of the 1-6s. I have had no issues with the PA "ACSS" series scopes - I have used for an AR carbine class and I have used the 4-14s hunting and out to 800 yards at a long range facility.

I do not carry a rifle for a living anymore and I have to buy my own stuff now - I am happy with the PA ACSS line for the service it provides at an appealing price point.

I would be interesting in hearing of any PA ACSS series failures. There are certainly better quality glass, "firmer" clicking knobs, etc. but that is a price point issue.
    Could just be my eyes but the PA 1-8's seem to have better glass / clarity / light gathering than the 1-6's, even on 1x.

There's nothing wrong with the PA scopes for recreational use but I have seen breakages, particularly the illumination adjustment, which is also a weak point on their strike eagle cousins.

I just picked up two Geissele Super Duty 14.5's and am contemplating my options for a LPVO for at least one of them. This is mostly for recreation, a carbine class this Fall, and secondarily home defense (I lean towards a holographic sight for the other for that primary role). If I accept the reality of my life: Young kids and a busy work life, I know this will see little real use. That being said, I have always liked to strike a balance in quality vs. cost. When possible, I'm fine with spending more than I need to just to know I have an above average quality item that will perform at a higher level than I need.

The ACSS reticle appeals to the untrained civilian in me; especially, the built in ranging. It seems to be incredibly intuitive, and is what has (like many, I'd assume) attracted my interest in Primary Arms. If I accept the reality that I will never put in the real time and training, is this reticle the best option?

Pushing the quality envelope and scratching my love for Germanic quality control, I am open to Steiner, Kahles, etc., but the reticles intimidate me given my anticipated lack of time investment to master a reticle or ranging system like MOA or MIL.

So, all that to say, it seems the Primary Arms ACSS scopes makes sense given my uses, but am I over exaggerating the perceived shortfalls of other reticles and thus ignoring the slightly higher cost but better glass, robustness of the German/Austrian offerings?
    Last edited by Hieronymous; 09-04-2020 at 10:17 AM.

No experience with the 1-8 but I've had a 4-14x with ACSS on a 308 rifle for about five years. I think I paid $200 for it on the used market, and it came with rings and Butler Creek covers. At the time of purchase it was a lot of scope for the money but others have caught up.

The ACSS isn't really anything new as the designer took a bit of everything- Mildot, BDC, and Horus type reticles and combined them into one. I have had some fun using the scope but I would rate the glass a 6 if a Nightforce is a 10 and a cheap chinese scope is a 1. Basically worth what you pay for it.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I don't have the PA 1-8X but I recently purchased one of their prisim scopes with the ACSS reticle on it. Like others here - I absolutely love the ACSS reticle so far. I do have a Vortex 1-8 Strike Eagle which HCS mentions is basically the same scope with a different reticle. It's my first 6-8X LPVO and all in all I'm happy with it. There is a bit of pin-cushioning and distortion around the edges when at the low and high extremes of power but the centers are nice clear and bright. Given my recent fondness for the ACSS reticle - If I had it to do over again I would probably go with the PA 1-8X that you are looking at.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I don't have the PA 1-8X but I recently purchased one of their prisim scopes with the ACSS reticle on it. Like others here - I absolutely love the ACSS reticle so far. I do have a Vortex 1-8 Strike Eagle which HCS mentions is basically the same scope with a different reticle. It's my first 6-8X LPVO and all in all I'm happy with it. There is a bit of pin-cushioning and distortion around the edges when at the low and high extremes of power but the centers are nice clear and bright. Given my recent fondness for the ACSS reticle - If I had it to do over again I would probably go with the PA 1-8X that you are looking at.
    The PA reticle and the Gen 2 Strike Eagle reticles are much more useful than the Gen 1 SE.

Also - the PA Platinum 1-8 is a duty quality scope with the excellent PA reticle.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The PA reticle and the Gen 2 Strike Eagle reticles are much more useful than the Gen 1 SE.

Also - the PA Platinum 1-8 is a duty quality scope with the excellent PA reticle.
    That's good to know. I have the 1st Gen Strike Eagle. It's been a perfectly acceptable scope for my needs and I'm very happy with it especially for the money I paid, but I do find the ACCS reticle better. It serves as a place holder until I can allocate the funds for a more expensive scope to place on my 7.62 AR. While I agree with the "Glass Snobs" that it is often better to save your money and "buy once" I do think that these "Premium manufacturer budget scopes" are hard to pass up for the causal user given their performance to cost ratio.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    That's good to know. I have the 1st Gen Strike Eagle. It's been a perfectly acceptable scope for my needs and I'm very happy with it especially for the money I paid, but I do find the ACCS reticle better. It serves as a place holder until I can allocate the funds for a more expensive scope to place on my 7.62 AR. While I agree with the "Glass Snobs" that it is often better to save your money and "buy once" I do think that these "Premium manufacturer budget scopes" are hard to pass up for the causal user given their performance to cost ratio.
    I rate the reticles - ACSS, 2nd Gen SE, 1st gen SE.

Glass quality is a real thing, especially under field conditions, but so is durability for other than casual use.

As noted, for some reason the glass in the 1-8s looks noticeably better to me than the 1-6s.

User Tag List