Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Media spotlight on one of our cadets/ thoughts?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    From an individual perspective, I say give the guy the opportunity. The accident was eight years ago, he has apparently had no issues since then, and he's made demonstrable effort towards making something out of himself in the meantime. Further, he's applied and been rejected multiple times, made improvements, and then tried again, so this isn't something he's doing because he doesn't have any other ideas about what to do with his life.

From an agency perspective.... In today's society, the potential fallout far outweighs the benefits of a redemption story. He's painting a bullseye on the organization, and no amount of do-gooding is going to matter much in a lawsuit in front of an unfriendly jury.

I think he could be a better asset to his community outside law enforcement. Just a non-cop's 02¢.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    No how. No way. Why? Why him when there are dozens of applicants without that baggage?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    Got drunk, car accident friend died bad choice. I'd hire him before I hired some dirt bag that stole cars,property or committed assaults.
    I would hire the candidate behind him with none of that extra baggage.

Some poor decisions can be overcome. Some decisions, or series of decisions, the consequences last much longer, or never really go away.
    Polite Professional

Site Supporter
    Sounds like a senior leadership material in the making...

C'mon, am I the only one gonna unleash the snark? 🤣

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I wonder who number two on the list was.

Nope, not at my agency. I don’t think our CJ Training & Standards (POST) would allow him to be certified.

But, some Sheriffs Offices in NC would probably hire him...

Thank you all for your replies. I'll refrain from commenting as this guy will probably be my daggum sergeant one day. lol

One of the most qualified folks we ever had was never hired after multiple attempts and jumping through every hoop imaginable. Problem “too many accidents”. He was a busy road guy for a major player in the LE Equipment industry and racked over 50,000 miles a year on the road driving a company car. None of the accidents were his fault, just a factor of exposure. That kid would have never gotten a foot Past the risk management door.
    I agree....great potential for a paramedic somewhere.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    The shark lawyers will be lining up to sue the department . If he is involved in anything that goes bad whether he made a mistake or not the lawsuit will be huge. Any chief that would hire him really does not understand how bad a lawsuit can go. Plus this contributes to the steady decline in law enforcement standards. The fuck up move up mentality. If he really wants to serve his community; tell him to be a fireman or join the military. I don’t think the military would take him without a waiver and that should be a big enough clue for the chief. He can always be a politician like Ted Kennedy

It's almost Good Friday, so I'm inclined to be non-judgemental and as forgiving as the man who hung on the cross for us. Having said that, what are they thinking? EVERYTHING this guy does or fails to do from the minute he swears in will be a liability suit waiting to happen. I'm super proud of how he's turned his life around, but, some folks have too much baggage to take the risk. This officer will NEVER have a minute's peace. God forbid he get into a wreck responding to a call or during a pursuit...

User Tag List