Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Media spotlight on one of our cadets/ thoughts?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Uhhhhh....no. While I firmly believe in redemption, that doesn't mean a free pass from the laws of man. DUI causing death....reckless driving to that extent, AND illegal drugs (at least then and in that place)? Perhaps being a paramedic would be a better role for him. It would allow him to serve his community honorably, without being responsible for enforcing the laws he so callously disregarded in the past.
    I was thinking along these lines (not being in LE), but was also wondering what the reasoning was behind a 19yo getting a youthful offender status for killing someone while drunk on on drugs.. Seems especially forgiving... Not quite as forgiving as our local "Affluenza" story..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    As a civilian who really doesn't know how these things go, would his prior actions hurt his case if a lawsuit was brought against him/agency/city/county during the course of police work?
    An officer/agent is an open book under cross examination. You can be asked about off duty conduct, facebook posts, past internal affairs allegations. Look at Mark Furmahn. He was talking shit in a private meeting 12 years prior to OJ, and they defense pulled it out and beat him over the head with it...

NO ONE is 100% squeaky clean. Every person (LEO or civilian) has something somewhere in their past that is potentially embarrassing. But why start someone off who you know has a blatant criminal past?
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Yeah, they can save the redemption story for another career field.

Have any of the higher ups at that department thought about what's going to happen when that kid has to get on the stand? It's the entire departments credibility that's on the line, just by association.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Got drunk, car accident friend died bad choice. I'd hire him before I hired some dirt bag that stole cars,property or committed assaults.

I think there are 2 separate (at least) issues here. First, can the recruit be a good police officer. Second, if the department hires him as a police officer, will that decision adversely effect the ability of the department to implement its mission.

I strongly believe that the actions of a youth are not determinative of future behavior. There's a reason that, as a society, we seal juvenile records. I'm personally aware of people who screwed up as youths who have led productive lives. At age 19, he was past the typical cut-off for characterizing his behavior as youthful stupidity. His crime was not one involving intent to cause harm. Based on the linked article, it appears the recruit has spent the intervening years acting reliably and has demonstrated commitment to a life of public service. I'm sure the department has a psychological profile on him. Based on what I know, it appears he is not unfit to be a police officer.

As the comments here establish, the recruit will be perceived as negatively effecting the department's ability to implement its mission. There will be residents who perceive the recruit to be unfit to be a police officer. His past may interfere with his ability to be a credible witness. The only upside I can see for the department is that he may have additional credibility in talking about the dangers of impaired driving. On the whole, it appears hiring the recruit will harm the department.

I’ll take Nope for $200 Alex
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Damn, I thought WE were getting desperate...

No way could that Candidate wannabe get a slot. But i bet the PBA could save the officers job if they where already off probation and had a decent Rabbi going to bat for them.

Site Supporter
    I'm not sure how he was accepted by a paramedic program, let alone got certified. Medic school is generally 2 years now, which would put him 3 years or less post conviction starting school.

He wouldn't get hired here. I doubt he'd get hired by an ambulance company or EMS agency, just because of his driving record.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    He wouldn't get hired here. I doubt he'd get hired by an ambulance company or EMS agency, just because of his driving record.
    Ditto. He wouldn't have passed Risk Management's standards at the large EMS agency I used to work at; I know that for a fact due to some people that I tried to hire and were given the thumbs down due to much less than this kids' history.

I don't think he would've been eligible to become certified by the state, either.......but that I'm not 100% sure on.
    Last edited by TGS; 03-28-2018 at 07:08 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List