Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Media spotlight on one of our cadets/ thoughts?

Well, there's still a few weeks to go and then there is FTO phase.

We've lost quite a few already.........a 1/3 if I am being quoted correct numbers. We always lose more during FTO phase.

I have my opinion on the matter......but I fear I am old school with the associated mentality that comes with 22 years of this......as well as experience on the hiring board. I've seen what type of folks they have passed up in the past.

The romantic in me wonders what relationships he made while incarcerated.....and if any of those relationships will come back to haunt him when dealing with former cell mates.....and what he may have shared with them....in addition to all the above concerns.

I'm also wondering what type of welcome he's going to get when/if he does come out in the field. Lots of us have had to do notifications and clean up scenes like he caused..........I'm not sure it's going to be warm and fuzzy.

I had a long time friend who had a little brother make it into the fire academy in Houston. First time through, something happened (never got a straight answer) and he got recycled. Second time through, he passed. On the night he graduated, he and his class mates go out to celebrate. He is driving 5 of his classmates. He blew a .08 and lost his job graduation night. They were all far more drunk, and they still have jobs... Now, he is a security guard.

Sooo many people lose it all on a DWI. I have had 2-3 co workers gone over DWI. If I am out NEVER more than two drinks, and typically not even that. I am too close to finish line to lose my job now.
    Last edited by Gadfly; 03-29-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

If he’s turned his life around, good on him I wish him the best of luck.

But as others have stated, there’s going to be a bloodthirsty lawyer just WAITING for him to have any kind of incident and then make it hell for this guy and the department.

Seriously though, THIS guy gets accepted but there’s quality folks getting DQed at other departments for silly shit. Honestly frustrates me.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List