Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for Accuracy (9mm)

Just today talking to a PPC shooter. He uses for the autopistol competitions a 115 gr JHP from Magnus Bullets (actually made by Zero, Magnus is mostly a caster) and a slightly below factory equivalent load of Bullseye.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Just today talking to a PPC shooter. He uses for the autopistol competitions a 115 gr JHP from Magnus Bullets (actually made by Zero, Magnus is mostly a caster) and a slightly below factory equivalent load of Bullseye.
    Pretty close to 4.5 grains I'll reckon. :-). Alliant lists 4.7 as max with a Speer 115 GDHP.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I think less, but will not try to go from memory. Your gun might be different anyhow.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I’m having great luck with minimum and maximum loads of Prima V under a 135 grain bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think GuanoLoco talked about this powder here and has a decent sized thread about it on Enos. I am interested in trying some I've been meaning to get around and order some but every time I find Unique local for $110-120 for 8lbs I can't stop myself from buying it, (no damned hazmat or shipping). It's just so damn cheap and I can get everything from bunny fart loads to factory +P velocities with it. Not to mention I can load just about ever caliber minus magnum stuff. Have you run the Prima V with 115, 124 or 147? How is it in the accuracy and velocity department?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I think GuanoLoco talked about this powder here and has a decent sized thread about it on Enos. I am interested in trying some I've been meaning to get around and order some but every time I find Unique local for $110-120 for 8lbs I can't stop myself from buying it, (no damned hazmat or shipping). It's just so damn cheap and I can get everything from bunny fart loads to factory +P velocities with it. Not to mention I can load just about ever caliber minus magnum stuff. Have you run the Prima V with 115, 124 or 147? How is it in the accuracy and velocity department?
    I've just loaded 135gr with it. Accuracy has been phenominal at 2.9 and 3.8 grains of Prima V - the 2.9 is a bunny fart, and I had 2 buddies shoot it who need a lot of work in recoil management (and of course, failure to extract). Myself and another friend had no issues with the low loads.

Speeds ranged from 880 to 1100, with charge weights of 2.8-4.0 grains out of a P226 (118-148 power factor). I shoot coated lead, and noticed much less leading at the lower velocities than I had with W231, and no smoke to speak of (outdoor range).
    Last edited by jeep45238; 04-01-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Site Supporter
    I have had good results with the 122 grain Dardas flat point bullet sized .357 in several different 9mm handguns with a 5.4 grain charge of BE-86. Got about 1135 FPS average with a Glock 19 and a SIG P250 compact.

I'm far from a reloading expert, but I personally load for powerfactor first, then work on accuracy.

I tend to use powders that have a reputation for constancy and accuracy, such as VV N320.

For example, in 9mm, I found 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 grains of N320 under a 145gr bayou bullet got me about 129, 133, and 136 PF.

I prefer the 133 because it gives me a good buffer for chrono variation. Then I'll load 10 rounds each at various OAL's like 1.090, 1.100, 1.110, 1.120, 1.130.

I'll take these out and shoot them off a sandbag rest or ransom rest and find the one with the smallest group size. I'll typically see a huge variation in group size caused by the OAL. I've seen as big as 4-5" groups and as small as 1.5" groups using the exact same bullet, powder, and charge but loaded to different OAL's.

Wow. This thread's timing is just uncanny. I've recently started looking for another powder, like in the last week or so. lol

I've loaded 1000's of 9mm for USPSA minor and have found that uber fast powders really are the ticket for soft recoil impulse but not so much for grouping. I've found that uber consistent chrono numbers don't translate directly to an accurate load.

I've been running e3 lately and have used a bunch of WST in the past with lead, coated and plated bullets. With WST I can get really crappy ES and SD numbers but they will group as good as e3 that gets great ES and SD numbers.

I'm looking for more accuracy these days. I've noted that the 122grain NLG coated bullet I'm running will group almost into a single hole out of my M&P .357 but not nearly as good out of my M&P 9 or 9Pro. If I were shooting jacketed the jug of Titegroup I have would be the obvious answer since it's cheap, super consistent and seemingly easy to get an accurate load with. But it burns too hot for lead or coated. From what I have been able to gather a powder like Power Pistol or WSF and anything in the area of Unique's burn rate if pushed towards the upper end of the load range generally gives better results.

Thanks for the thread, now I have another to keep an eye on for ideas.

Thanks for the info. Ive finally gotten most of the equipment i had ordered and cranked out my first hundred rounds out of the press which actually took me most if the day with setup, adjustments and growing pains.

I bought 5 different brands of jacketed bullets and the titegroup powder. Starting with Sierra 115 fmj and gonna run 50 each from 4.2 to 4.7.

When working on new loads, how many do you make and test with and in what increments?

Site Supporter
    I make 10 rounds with .2 grain increments to find a power factor/recoil/accuracy that I’m happy with. After that I vary the oal to find a sweetspot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List