Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Reloading for Accuracy (9mm)

Site Supporter
    6.5gr Power Pistol with 115gr cast bullets is a pretty good duplicate for most +P carry ammo. It's also heckin accurate and loud and flashy, which is a plus IMO

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Dardas bullets were mentioned. Dardas offers bullets in a choice of diameters. Most suppliers sell 9mm cast bullets in .356 diameter, but this vendor gives additional choices of .357 and .358. 9mm barrel diameters are often larger than the nominal .355. For this reason, .357 or .358 cast bullets will cure leading and accuracy problems. When loading these, the Lyman M die is ideal. If using a Lee Auto Measure with its powder through the expander, for a few dollars buy the expander made for the round with this caliber designation: 38 S&W. It's shorter and larger in diameter and will nicely accommodate the larger bullets.

Just a small update. I went out a couple weeks ago to run a test comparing Hornady 115g - FMJ's vs HAP vs JHP. I made up 200 rounds of each projectile type; 20 rounds of each 0.1g increment (2 shot groups of 10). The test went well but I want to make up an additional 100 rounds each of HAP vs JHP at a lower charge weight range before concluding. So far though as expected the HAP's & JHP's are very similar in shot group size and better than the FMJ's. So far though the difference hasnt been much and comparing the best shot groups is averaging only a 0.1" difference. Im currently refinishing my garage and make a new reloading bench and area. So maybe a bit before Im up and running and finishing my next test

I've tried to move away from VV powders only because they can be hard to find and expensive but I keep coming back because they work so well. N320 is great for games and accurate enough at typical IDPA/USPSA distances. But lately I've been wanting to shoot out past 25m, like 30, 40, 50, and last time at 75m. Best results have been with a quality FMJ or HP and VV N340. Hornady HAP's are great and I've heard that the Montana gold 121 IFP is also very accurate. I think Zero has a similar bullet too. Oh, and sort your brass by headstamp/brand, the 9mm case doesn't have a lot of capacity so it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I've tried to move away from VV powders only because they can be hard to find and expensive but I keep coming back because they work so well. N320 is great for games and accurate enough at typical IDPA/USPSA distances. But lately I've been wanting to shoot out past 25m, like 30, 40, 50, and last time at 75m. Best results have been with a quality FMJ or HP and VV N340. Hornady HAP's are great and I've heard that the Montana gold 121 IFP is also very accurate. I think Zero has a similar bullet too. Oh, and sort your brass by headstamp/brand, the 9mm case doesn't have a lot of capacity so it matters.

I believe Ive mentioned my results w the n320 as well as comparying the different hornady projectiles so far. I havent tried N340. As far as brass I have only two brands currently and they are separated. A previous test showed a rather large difference between the two. Shot groups were around 1" w the one brand and with the other everything was atleast a half inch larger. And yes ive heard good things about MG and Zero also. Looking forward to testing them in the future

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post

I believe Ive mentioned my results w the n320 as well as comparying the different hornady projectiles so far. I havent tried N340. As far as brass I have only two brands currently and they are separated. A previous test showed a rather large difference between the two. Shot groups were around 1" w the one brand and with the other everything was atleast a half inch larger. And yes ive heard good things about MG and Zero also. Looking forward to testing them in the future

Great! It sounds like you are your way. The story I heard behind the MG 121 IFP [International Flat Point] is that it was a happy accident. In some countries HP bullets are not allowed yet are more accurate. So MG took their already good 115 HP and filled in the cavity creating a 121 with a flat tip. Turned out to be very accurate and popular with the USPSA 9mm major crowd.

In my testing so far the HAP's & JHP's have been more accurate but im kinda surprised it really hasnt been by much in the brands ive tried so far. In factory ammo ive tried Atlanta Arms and in reloading Hornday; in both comparing same weight bullets except fmj, hap, jhp. The shot group size improvement ive been getting mainly averages 0.1" in 10 rnd groups at 25 yards

Once David Sams with the AMU was able to get the Berretta 92's to shoot to team standards & other Bullseye 'smiths started building 9mm 1911's I considered it . Once I found out how costly & labor intensive it was to consistantly get X ring accuracy @ 50yds I passed . They started with the 115gr Sierra FMJ & the Horn 115 XTP . It was found that a slower twist 1 in 32 barrels were needed to be competitive . Power Pistol , WSF & VV N330 were the ticket , because N330 is so hard to get N320 & 340 got the nod . I was told to use new or 1X fired Starline cases & Rem 5 1/2 SPM primers . Internal case dimensions were required to be consistant hence new brass every time . Well if one's not a sponsored shooter it gets pricey quick . These days some like the 147 XTP with faster twist barrels . I have yet to see anyone clean a 50yd NRA B-6 target with any kind of cast or plated bullet shot from a 9mm . As a Bullseye shooter I find it humorous when people talk about accuracy @ shorter ranges . I've tested enough guns / ammo that I can tell you a load that'll give a 1" 10 round group @ 25yds might not shoot 6" @ 50yds . I just continue to shoot 45acp in both CF & 45 sections of a 2700 . Went through all that years ago with 38 special in both S&W 52 & a Giles 1911 . 38 will hurt your scores far more than help . Now 38 Super is like the 45acp in that it'll shoot lead extremely well @ 50yds . If I were to build a dedicated CF it would be 38 Super not 9mm .

User Tag List