Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Professional Instructor Says I'm Gripping Too Hard With My Right Hand.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    We are discussing a Glock19.
    Of course.

Lots of people tend to push shots leftward with Glocks, especially when they are shooting multiple shots in rapid succession.

It's not really your grip, it's more likely your trigger finger.

Clear your gun, then dry-fire.

Then practice shooting multiple shots WITHOUT CYCLING THE SLIDE:

Pay careful attention to the sights. You will likely notice that at the very last part of the trigger pull, right after the point where the trigger would have broken, you get a slight leftward push of the front sight.

The only way I can combat this on a Glock is to use less trigger finger. I have the very tip of my trigger finger on the trigger just enough to disengage the trigger button on the Glock and then I don't get the lefty push. You can try the Pat Macnamara version where you use a lot more trigger finger, but for me that makes the problem exponentially worse. Point being experiment with trigger finger location in dryfire and live fire to see what works best for clearing the problem up for you.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 03-29-2018 at 07:45 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Of course.

Lots of people tend to push shots leftward with Glocks, especially when they are shooting multiple shots in rapid succession.

Then practice shooting multiple shots WITHOUT CYCLING THE SLIDE:

Pay careful attention to the sights. You will likely notice that at the very last part of the trigger pull, right after the point where the trigger would have broken, you get a slight leftward push of the front sight.

The only way I can combat this on a Glock is to use less trigger finger. I have the very tip of my trigger finger on the trigger just enough to disengage the trigger button on the Glock and then I don't get the lefty push. You can try the Pat Macnamara version where you use a lot more trigger finger, but for me that makes the problem exponentially worse. Point being experiment with trigger finger location in dryfire and live fire to see what works best for clearing the problem up for you.
    I think this is partially why flat faced triggers on Glocks are a popular thing. If you can’t put a lot more finger on the trigger, using less becomes a requirement. Using less, with the profile of the OEM trigger shoe as well as the trigger safety, it gets painful after a few magazines. Sure you can build up a callous and tolerance for it, but what happens when you slack off or have to take a break from shooting for XYZ reason? A flat faced trigger with a trigger safety that sits flush with the trigger face solves a lot of these problems.

I’ve been tempted to try one out.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I think this is partially why flat faced triggers on Glocks are a popular thing. If you can’t put a lot more finger on the trigger, using less becomes a requirement. Using less, with the profile of the OEM trigger shoe as well as the trigger safety, it gets painful after a few magazines. Sure you can build up a callous and tolerance for it, but what happens when you slack off or have to take a break from shooting for XYZ reason? A flat faced trigger with a trigger safety that sits flush with the trigger face solves a lot of these problems.

As have I.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

It's a worthwhile mod for a lot of people. Just use the Apex parts as they have a solid read on making parts that don't make the gun unsafe.

Personally, though, I've tried flat-faced triggers and even guns with extensive grip works and I still get the lefty push with Glocks. That's one of the reasons why I just use other guns.
    3/15/2016

Of course.

Then practice shooting multiple shots WITHOUT CYCLING THE SLIDE
    I sort of practice this way using a blue gun, which, while the trigger doesn't move, allows me to apply a commensurate amount of force to simulate a trigger pull while maintaining focus on the sight picture.

Works for me and saves wear and tear on my gun. Obviously, everyone will have their own preference in this area. This is just one option.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

To qualify my comments, I'm not a firearms instructor, expert, or even a terribly good shooter. I haven't seen you shoot. But that doesn't stop anybody else on the internet from commenting, so here we go.

Here is my understanding of this common marksmanship error:
    -If shot's aren't hitting their intended target, then your sights aren't aligned with target at the precise moment of ignition.
    -That means you're unconsciously pushing the gun left during the trigger stroke. This seems to be a common error with Glocks for some reason.

A couple of possibilities:
    (a) Tom Given's says if your trigger finger "bicep" is too close to the frame, flexing the "bicep" as you pull the trigger might apply leftward pressure on the gun, pushing your shots left. This is a easily diagnosed ergonomic problem that potentially indicates your gun doesn't fit you properly. It could also mean that you're applying too much trigger finger.
    (b) or, you might be applying too little trigger finger. If so, your trigger press isn't straight to the rear, but include a slight leftward pressure.
    (c) or, it might be that you aren't isolating you trigger finger well enough when stress is applied (ex. shooting fast after movement). That is, trigger finger movement is causing a sympathetic response to the rest of your hand. Instead of applying constant grip pressure, your grip pressure is increasing and decreasing as you activate the trigger. (Without a gun, try flexing your fist and releasing a few times quickly and watch it move inboard.) This is commonly called "milking the grip."

"Gripping too hard" seems like a incomplete diagnosis. It's certainly unhelpful, which is why you posted in the first place, and possibly inaccurate. I suspect he was using shorthand jargon that you should have clarified. You might want to contact the instructor for clarification. I'd be interested in knowing what he meant. I suspect you're struggling with problem C, in which case you need to focus on grip consistency under stress.

Additionally, learning to "Call your shots" will help you diagnose you problem.

Again, I'm no expert. I hope this is accurate and useful. I'm open to critique if I'm full of $*%&.

Cheers,
    David S.
    Last edited by David S.; 03-29-2018 at 09:54 AM.
    David S.

It's a worthwhile mod for a lot of people. Just use the Apex parts as they have a solid read on making parts that don't make the gun unsafe.

Personally, though, I've tried flat-faced triggers and even guns with extensive grip works and I still get the lefty push with Glocks. That's one of the reasons why I just use other guns.
    I wonder if that has to do with the bulky and obtrusive frame bulge just above the trigger well. There are times when I’ll experience the lefty push and swear that it’s that part of the frame I’m pushing against if I happen to use more than a the very tip of my finger with how I happen to be gripping the pistol at the time.

I think you'll all find this interesting.

It's a bit long but the info is detailed:

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    So clearly posting this here was a mistake. I appreciate those of you who sought to give me honest constructive criticism but I am done with this thread and will not be responding further have a good day
    @Cypher

I'd encourage you to reconsider and update the thread as you work through the issue.

When you ask for opinions you're going to get them. Some are misinterpreted or smart assed and that's part and parcel of the web. Your exploration of this by trying the suggestions for your own gain will also likely help others who are struggling with the same problem but didn't ask.

Another drill that helps diagnose errors is Ball & Dummy where you randomly slip a dummy round into the magazine. When the gun goes click the lack of recoil will show you exactly what you're doing wrong and help you to fix it. It has it's limitations but can be very helpful. For your drill making some mags have the top round be a dummy and grabbing a mag and chambering a round with your eyes closed would be a good check. With the first round sometimes going click you won't have the previous round's recoil to confuse the issue.
    Last edited by Lomshek; 03-29-2018 at 12:05 PM.

@Cypher

I will say that the more in depth and detailed the information you provide the better feedback you will get. Sometimes the most insignificant detail makes all the difference in the advice you get. These guys (some more than others) have helped me correct a lot of issues.

User Tag List