Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Professional Instructor Says I'm Gripping Too Hard With My Right Hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I find some of these assumptions annoying. This guy is a competent instructor. He has been training my church security team for about four years. He was training several people at once.
    Understand we don't have much to work with beyond what was stated. Shooting left could be the result of many things. The instructor could have offered up a number of solutions and coached you through, but as you stated he walked away without further assistance. If the gun is properly zeroed, hitting left, simply indicates the shot is breaking when the gun is misaligned. What causes this misalignment needs explored. You stated he "told" you that you are shooting left. Was this not apparent to you? Are you finishing flat at the break? What does the gun do in dry fire? Can you discern muzzle movement during dry fire? What distance? What target size? How far left? What is your group size? Does the issue present itself in slow fire, rapid fire, or both? Are you slapping the trigger? Staging it? Are you right or left handed?
    Taking a break from social media.

Double post
    Last edited by CCT125US; 03-27-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

I’m guessing he didn’t shoot your pistol, before walking off, to verify whether it was you or the gun?
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

There are two things that I don't understand here:

First, how the instructor determined that excessive strong hand pressure is the cause, vs any other cause.

Second, how excessive strong hand pressure can cause that at all. If sights are aligned and pressure is consistent throughout trigger pull, what exactly is happening to push the muzzle sideways? I can understand how variable strong hand pressure during trigger press can do it, such as in sympathetic hand squeeze. Squeeze all fingers as you squeezing trigger finger, throw the shot in opposite direction, a classic mistake. Consistent strong hand force application, weak or strong, that I don't understand.

Posted as food for thought.
    Last edited by YVK; 03-27-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’m guessing he didn’t shoot your pistol, before walking off, to verify whether it was you or the gun?
    That is something I've been thinking about. I think it's best that I go back to this guy who can be right there evaluating and ask him to try the gun out and see if it's me or the sights.

The circumstances were we were doing an exercise where you had to run up to the target line and do the El Presidente drill. I don't think I took enough time to be sure of my sight picture and I really wasn't focusing on where I was hitting.

Even so the instructor said I was hitting consistently to the left. There were other people behind me so I did my rotation and let the next guy go
    Last edited by Cypher; 03-27-2018 at 11:20 PM.

Doubt it is your strong hand grip--check out how strongly Robert Vogel grips his Glocks in this AAR from one of his courses a few years ago:

A good grip is crucial for controlling the gun. Vogel wants as high a grip as possible on the pistol--preferably a pistol with a low bore-axis. He squeezes/pinches the pistol with his strong hand, not just grabbing it, and really gets his knuckles hard up against the underside of the trigger guard. Even more important than the strong hand grip, he emphasizes that the support hand grip is the key to fully controlling the pistol. Vogel’s support hand technique is different than anyone I have trained with. He uses the standard thumbs forward position, but places the support hand as far forward and as high up on the pistol as possible. His support hand is gripping harder than his strong hand. In addition, he is applying a strong opposing torque toward the frame with each hand. I was shocked at how much force he was applying against the pistol--he commented that he grips almost to the point where his hands begin to shake. As a result of these factors, he does not subscribe to the typical emphasis on a 360 degree wrap around with the weak hand. In fact, just the base of the support hand thumb is in contact with frame/upper pistol grip of the pistol near the slide, resulting in a gap existing between the rest of the support hand and the lower half of the pistol butt. He mentioned that this aggressive hand positioning sometimes presses against the slide release and prevents the slide from locking back on the last shot; a trade-off he is willing to accept for the faster flatter shooting this technique offers him. In order to improve his hand strength, Vogel uses the Captain’s of Crush hand grippers. He recommended starting with the #1 and working up to #3. He emphasized that these are not casual workouts, but that when done correctly, they are intense and uncomfortable.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    I have had similar issues with the 19. It is due to the hump on the back of the handle and the size of my hand (my hands are on the smaller side). I grip hard enough that I get bruises in the palm of my hand when I train with the gun. Depending on how it is grabbed bullets can go left or right depending on where the hump ends up in my palm. Flat face triggers help as I can correct it somewhat by moving my finger closer in or further out. I have also found I don't have this issue on 19's where the hump is removed. Due to policy we cannot modify duty guns (or guns we carry under color of authority off duty) so the 19 has to go at least for me.

You might want to try and have the hump removed or shoot one that has had a grip reduction and see if you have the same issues. I doubt it is simply a grip issue. As others have pointed out here are plenty of folks that grip the crap out of their guns and don't seem to have any issues.

Is this happening during slow fire or “rapid fire?”
    David S.

This is why I would be a terrible instructor. "Grip the gun pretty hard, pull the trigger straight back, don't move the gun until the bullet leaves the gun"

*student misses*

"Fuck I don't know what you did wrong, this is so easy I can't explain it any more simply"
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

We've got a run-away train here. Humps, bumps, grip reductions? OP, it's time to get off the internet to fix your problem. Have someone else shoot / inspect your gun to check the sight accuracy. After that, get a competent shooter / instructor to WATCH you shoot. If the sights are aligned, you're either moving the gun during the shot (flinch maybe) or you're not actually seeing what you think you're seeing when you get your sight picture.

User Tag List