Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Professional Instructor Says I'm Gripping Too Hard With My Right Hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Should I take my stance and grip and loosen up before I shoot? How do I quantify "too tight"?
    Don’t do that. Changing your grip right before you shoot isn’t going to take you in the right direction.

Too tight is when you can’t pull the trigger right, or your hand shakes. Work in dryfire on pulling the trigger straight back without disturbing the sights at all.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Cooper used to say (and I'm paraphrasing) that a "professional" is someone who does something as an occupation. An "expert" is someone who does something well, whether he gets paid for it or not.

There are lots of professionals out there and being an expert is a relative term. The uninitiated are too often easily impressed by much of anything resembling either one.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

These discussions need to start with a yes/no question, and that is are we discussing a Glock.

If we are discussing a Glock, first thing is how much finger are you using on the trigger. If shots are deviating, try more or less, as it really does depend on the individual.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I found this very helpful. Doesn't require a death grip and really torques the palm heels into the grip.
    Last edited by Larry T; 03-27-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    These discussions need to start with a yes/no question, and that is are we discussing a Glock.

If we are discussing a Glock, first thing is how much finger are you using on the trigger. If shots are deviating, try more or less, as it really does depend on the individual.
    We are discussing a Glock19.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Cooper used to say (and I'm paraphrasing) that a "professional" is someone who does something as an occupation. An "expert" is someone who does something well, whether he gets paid for it or not.

There are lots of professionals out there and being an expert is a relative term. The uninitiated are too often easily impressed by much of anything resembling either one.
    This guy is a competent instructor who has worked with me for a couple of years. He was standing right there when I shot and he said my shots were consistent but Left.

So I don't know what competent instructor means or what distance we're talking about, but shooting left could be finger placement or a lame support hand grip.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I am also asking for the definition of professional instructor. Anyone worth while would help correct, not just critisize. Keep in mind, just because they are paid, does not make them professional. And there a many professional money takers. But that is just my jaded opinion..
    I find some of these assumptions annoying. This guy is a competent instructor. He has been training my church security team for about four years. He was training several people at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I find some of these assumptions annoying. This guy is a competent instructor. He has been training my church security team for about four years. He was training several people at once.
    Nobody's assuming anything. They're going off the information you've provided us so far.

Instructor tells you that your problem is "X" but then walks off before you can ask for clarification and from your question here obviously did not instruct you on how to fix the issue. Hence why some folks question how suitable an instructor the person is.

You can needlessly get bent out of shape when folks here rightfully question his competency or credentials, or you can answer what makes this guy so qualified.

Or you can go pay him more money to tell you what you're kittening up without helping you fix the issue. It's your money.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

What happens when you shoot right and left hand only?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List