Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Professional Instructor Says I'm Gripping Too Hard With My Right Hand.

Banned

Professional Instructor Says I'm Gripping Too Hard With My Right Hand.

I got a chance recently to do some training with a professional instructor. He stood behind me and critiqued my shooting and told me that all my shots were to the left. He said it indicated I was gripping too hard with my Right hand. He walked away before I could ask but how do I train myself to grip less?

Should I take my stance and grip and loosen up before I shoot? How do I quantify "too tight"?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I got a chance recently to do some training with a professional instructor. He stood behind me and critiqued my shooting and told me that all my shots were to the left. He said it indicated I was gripping too hard with my Right hand. He walked away before I could ask but how do I train myself to grip less?

Should I take my stance and grip and loosen up before I shoot? How do I quantify "too tight"?
    Seems like it would be easy enough, via trial and error, to try out various levels of grip tension from crushing grip all the way down to the weak-kneed handshake of effete gun control advocates. Put several rounds on target and see which level of tension promoted the most accuracy.

I'll bill you.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

It’s so hard to diagnose over the Internet, but here are a couple of thoughts. Squeezing too hard with the strong hand can make it difficult to isolate the trigger press. It can also lead to squeezing the entire hand while pressing the trigger.

Having said that, are you shooting a Glock? If so, FOR ME, I find I reduce the left thing by focusing my grip more front to back than side to side. Some of this is a function of hand size and shape.

In general, especially for non-Glocks, hitting left is almost always more trigger press than grip related. Having said that, grip and trigger press can interact with negative results.

Next trip, I’d try just gripping firmly and focusing on isolating the trigger press. It seems that everyone believes they need a death grip to shoot well, they don’t.
    Last edited by LSP552; 03-27-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Are you, uh, right handed?

Crushing grip with weak hand, lesser grip with strong hand or your trigger finger will bind up and you lose trigger finger speed. This is easily demonstrated with a Bill Drill (Draw + 6 shots at 7 yards).

I'm not sure that an overly firm strong hand grip and failing to pull the trigger straight back independent of grip are necessarily correlated, but it seems possible.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Many here are much more qualified to respond than I am, but I've found that gripping a lot harder with my support hand has helped me. Like LSP552, I try to focus my strong hand on applying front to back pressure and crushing side to side with my support hand. Also, camming my support hand wrist forward to the point of it being uncomfortable helps my shooting. I arrived it this grip after I got my PX4 and had to adjust from my normal Glock grip. This grip gives me a steady front sight during DA dry fire. When I shot live fire like this, it was the first time I was able to track my sights during recoil, so it definitely seems to work for me. A night or two ago, I watched a YouTube video by John Lovell on rolling out the support arm elbow. I've not been to the range since seeing that video, but I think that might be a good technique to help further stabilize the gun. I'll look for the link later tonight.

What's a "professional instructor" in this instance?

Did you pay him?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Did you pay him?
    Hopefully he walked away before he could pay him.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I am also asking for the definition of professional instructor. Anyone worth while would help correct, not just critisize. Keep in mind, just because they are paid, does not make them professional. And there a many professional money takers. But that is just my jaded opinion..
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List