Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dud factory ammo

Dud factory ammo

The last two range sessions have each experienced a dud round. I’ve been shooting since 1988 and other than one previous event a few years ago, I’ve never experienced a dud. Last Tuesday, I experienced a dud round of 115gr WWB when shooting my P320 Compact. It was confirmed a true dud when the same round wouldn’t fire through my Walther PPS.

Now today, when shooting 124gr Fiocchi .357 SIG through my P229, low and behold, another dud round. Yes, I know that it isn’t the greatest ammo, but it is factory ammunition. I just find this ironic.

I think you've been incredibly lucky that in thirty years that's all you've had.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I'd say you're well overdue for a few then. Seriously depending on how often you shoot it's merely statistics that dictate how often you'll see a dud.

ETA: just looking at my notes, out of nearly 24,000 shot in 9 years I've logged 6 duds (center fire ammo only. .22lr's are a whole other league of problematic depending on the brand.)
    That's a 0.025% failure rate. Given the mass production of ammo, that's pretty fucking impressive.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 03-27-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I had a Federal .45acp round with a shallow primer pocket years ago, and a Wolf 7.62x39 the bullet set back and didn't chamber.

That's about it.

Considering the millions of factory rounds produced every year it's amazing it doesn't happen more often. I can't think of any other consumer product with a similar track record.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

In the last year, not very many duds. However, comma, I have experienced boxes of .380 missing rounds, boxes of 9mm with several rounds having mangled brass/case lip openings, and a bulk box of .22lr with empties in it. 4 or 5 empties so far, and I’m only 1/2 way through the box of 350 or so. (For the record, the only .22 I’ve used this ammo with is a Ruger single-six, so it’s not like the empties got ejected into the box; they were in there when I bought it...).

Our factories have been running at capacity for a while, some stuff is going to slip through the cracks. JMO.

Site Supporter
    Yes sir. You've been lucky.

In the last few months I’ve personally witnessed 3 squibs (blocked bore) from 2 different cases, unknown lot#s, of .40 180gr Lawman. Today had a dead primer in 223AE- failed to fire after 2 hits from a known good rifle.

Setimes poop happens even with quality ammo. Just don’t shoot after a squib until you’ve manually checked the bore.
    Last edited by DpdG; 03-27-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Spelling and unintended hashtags
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I think you've been incredibly lucky that in thirty years that's all you've had.
    I’ve had, or seen dud rounds from every major ammo maker. I’ve also seen primers upside down, and a variety of other really obvious problems over the years.
    Last edited by LSP552; 03-27-2018 at 04:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    A buddy of mine shot with me last weekend. When he pulled a box of WWB out of his bag I only half jokingly said that he should be sure to double check them.

Two rounds were missing primers.

Site Supporter
    Surprising. I only buy winchester white box when I want to practice malfunctions. If it does fire half the time it doesn't extract. The class I took last weekend we had a student shooting WWB that kept having issues. Gave her some of my ammo and the gun ran like a top. The fact that you haven't had that many issues makes you a lucky man, and I would say go buy a couple of lottery tickets.

User Tag List