Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dud factory ammo

In a single range session a while back, I got two Federal 147gr Hydrashoks with bad primers (one seated backwards and one sideways!) and one bullet that was completely unformed - just a 9mm cylinder the length of a normal projectile...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    A buddy of mine shot with me last weekend. When he pulled a box of WWB out of his bag I only half jokingly said that he should be sure to double check them.

Two rounds were missing primers.
    A few months back, in a case of Winchester NATO-spec 9x19, I found a round with no primer and no flash hole in the case. I contacted Winchester and sent the round in to them, and they sent me a check for $16. Beats a sharp stick in the eye...

I had about 2-3 primer failures over probably a 2-3 box training session using WWB. Probably matched the total failures I've experienced over the past 2-3 years. At least they weren't squib loads or overcharged with powder...

Site Supporter
    In my experience over the past 10 years, Remington is the worst, WW the second worst. Federal and CCI-Speer have been very good. As a point of information, if you have a dead round that you need analysis on for cause of failure, DON'T try a second strike on the primer. The factory tech folks can do a good analysis of bad rounds if they are in original misfired condition. Likely not an issue for most of us, unless you have an evidentiary issue to resolve.

As for the WW with no flash hole, Dallas PD's FTU has a .357 Sig round that had that issue. It was discovered in an OIS. That was one of many issues with WW ammo and is the main reason they are a total Hornady department now.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 04-02-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    A friend of mine shot steel case Winchester today and had about a dozen failures to fire in 200 rounds. All were solid strikes. Combined with the extractor in his Glock shitting the bed and the poor guy was lucky when he made it through a drill with no problems.

I've noticed for the past (4 years?) that WWB 115gr will every once in a while come with a round in which the casing is about a millimeter longer than spec. I've had to clear stuck slides for quite a few customers at the range I work at. Often you'll find that the primer strike is not centered due to the slide ever so slightly being out of battery but not enough to activate the pistol's disconnector. I've actually posted about it a couple years ago. I figured Winchester would have gotten their shit together by now.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminycricket View Post
    I've noticed for the past (4 years?) that WWB 115gr will every once in a while come with a round in which the casing is about a millimeter longer than spec. I've had to clear stuck slides for quite a few customers at the range I work at. Often you'll find that the primer strike is not centered due to the slide ever so slightly being out of battery but not enough to activate the pistol's disconnector. I've actually posted about it a couple years ago. I figured Winchester would have gotten their shit together by now.
    Sadly, Winchester QC has not improved at all.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    Yesterday, I had a primer inserted backwards. First time I’ve seen that personally.

Came out of a case of 147gr Speer Lawman. Only problem I’ve ever had with a centerfire Speer cartridge. Stuff happens.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    With the WWB cases I've inspected trying to get my M11-A1 to run it, I've concluded that it would be nearly impossible to make a gun so robust to out of spec cases that the WWB factory won't eventually ship a round that would make it choke.

I've had zero issue with UMC, although it does seem to put more soot on the front of the pistol than some others.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Just shot about three hundred rounds of the steel from Winchester yesterday...one dud...and I did run it through again...definitely a dud.
    Otherwise, it ran fine in that limited amount.
    Last edited by Bill Lance; 05-20-2018 at 01:15 PM.

User Tag List