Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Justice JP Stevens (ret): 2A is "relic of the 18th century"

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I'm glad the good Justice is retired. I wonder which other amendments he considers relics of a bygone age.
    Freedom of speech and freedom from unreasonable search and seizure for those he disagrees with, more than likely.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

More footage of Stevens captured from last week.

Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I'm glad he wrote it. Helps keep gun owners interested during the midterm elections.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Amending the Constitution is so easy, that's why it's only been done seventeen times since 1791. {/sarcasm}

It took two centuries to ratify the last amendment, which was proposed as part of the original Bill of Rights. The last modern amendment to make it was ratified 47 years ago, the amendment that fixed the issue of "you're old enough to kill, but not for voting." Also, one of those amendments (21st) effectively repealed an earlier one (18th).

The Founders made amending the Constitution difficult. One need only to look as to how much of a convoluted clusterfuck some state constitutions are to see the wisdom of their decision.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Justice Stevens is untouchable. He's 97 years old and retired. He can say what all the gun-control nuts believe without consequences to himself.

By talking about repeal, he is keeping the Overton Window open as to that goal. If gun-control nuts unanimously said, "We believe in the 2d Amendment and aren't trying to take your guns," the public would be less willing to consider repeal as outside the bounds of reasonable discussion. The gun-control nuts always have someone (celebrities, retiring politicians, etc.) willing to suggest repeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The thing about the constitution and the BOR: that stuff was designed to be resistant to *exactly* the sort of hysteria going on today. Congress is just one backstop; the real one is that ratification by the states. No way 38 states go for change fools can believe in. All one has to look at is the last POTUS election map to see that, politicians be damned, we will end up with low-level civil unrest before a 2A repeal passes 3/4 of the states.

Aside from that, what everyone else says. This stuff is coming from 15, 16 and 17 year olds because A) they're the ones occasionally getting (literally) plinked to death; a totally legit gripe, and B) they are the ones to young to have any sense of history at all (see the countries on Doc's list. The list in this thread, not the one with GDHP all over it). Long-form history is not kind to a disarmed citizenry.

Yeah,yeah, preach preach, choir choir... I know, but it's still true.
    Great statement, as long as you can ascribe to logical thinking like most of us here. Unfortunately, emotions are still ruling the day, and will continue for sometime.

They have the ball rolling and I'm not sure how we can stop it.
    https://youtu.be/pSwEq8Pym8k

For those who don't want to click the link, it is a pretty powerful PSA created to support the AWB. They managed to get a bunch of Veterans to star in it. Hell, they even got a Vet from one of the Teams in there. For some reason, the general populace seems to attach some special reverence if it comes out of the mouth of Veterans, ( I say this as a Veteran myself) so this will gain them quite a bit of traction, I fear.

If you think about it, they have nothing to lose by calling for an Article V Convention. They really won't lose anything if it doesn't pass, yet WE have everything to lose. End of our glorious Republic, as we know it. Full Stop. Going down as a footnote in history like Rome just chills my blood.
    They have succeeded in painting us into a corner, where everything we say gets turned against us. Can't question the veracity of what the kids are claiming, heck, their just children, victims, survivors. If you do your'e mean spirited and lack empathy. Hey look, here's a retired Supreme Court Justice, you know he's an expert on the law, just listen to what he has to say about it. But wait, listen to all these Veterans, hell, listen to what this Seal Team 1 member thinks about it.
    They gather and and manage their resources and spokes people way better than us.
    And they own the MSM, this shit gets beamed around the Nation for the general public's consumption.
    And in response, we put up Dana Loesch, The face of the NRA, from that kook Glen Beck's network.
    Sorry, we seem to be the JV team in this crisis.

Even with a convention, they still got to get 75% of the states to vote for ratification. That is a huge hurdle to pass, as we tend to break down into 40-40-10% on pretty much every issue.

The reason for all the loud noise is the fact that they do not have a majority- Sun Tzu says quite a bit about opponents who are making noise.

As for what can we do, the answer is simple. Just take people shooting.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Um, let's hope they don't.
    Between all the virtue signaling and capitulation going on right now, I think they would stand a fair chance.
    Congress? Yeah, that's a great backstop to bet our rights on.
    First it must pass Congress with 2/3rds majority in each house. Then 38 states must ratify the amendment. Currently, 40 states have a constitutional right to bear arms in their state constitutions, which would prevent them (legally) from ratifying a Federal amendment without amending their own state constitutions.

Chances of a 2A Repeal? As close to zero as to be irrelevant. Here's what I think, in my lifetime, the second amendment will NOT be repealed, and no actual amendment effort will pass Congress to be considered by the states. I do believe that before the end of this century a credible effort may pass Congress, but I'm not convinced it will result in a repeal.

Let's remember that there has only been one amendment, ever, repealed -

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    First it must pass Congress with 2/3rds majority in each house. Then 38 states must ratify the amendment. Currently, 40 states have a constitutional right to bear arms in their state constitutions, which would prevent them (legally) from ratifying a Federal amendment without amending their own state constitutions.

Chances of a 2A Repeal? As close to zero as to be irrelevant. Here's what I think, in my lifetime, the second amendment will NOT be repealed, and no actual amendment effort will pass Congress to be considered by the states. I do believe that before the end of this century a credible effort may pass Congress, but I'm not convinced it will result in a repeal.

Let's remember that there has only been one amendment, ever, repealed -
    Remember also that very little in politics is straightforward. Guns as an issue is similar to race or abortion, in that politicians can milk both sides for votes and money, and thus have very little incentive to see actual change.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Amending the Constitution is so easy, that's why it's only been done seventeen times since 1791. {/sarcasm}

It took two centuries to ratify the last amendment, which was proposed as part of the original Bill of Rights. The last modern amendment to make it was ratified 47 years ago, the amendment that fixed the issue of "you're old enough to kill, but not for voting." Also, one of those amendments (21st) effectively repealed an earlier one (18th).

The Founders made amending the Constitution difficult. One need only to look as to how much of a convoluted clusterfuck some state constitutions are to see the wisdom of their decision.
    Louisiana is a prime example of that, and why the State’s budget is so screwed. There are so many constitutional provisions on funding, that about 2/3rd of the entire budget is dedicated to special interests or statutory dedication.

User Tag List