Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I suck shooting prone

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    That method may be accurate, but it will in no way be competitively fast for uspsa prone standards like long range standards. Watch this video and try to find video of other top shooters shooting prone in matches and compare to what you’re doing. https://youtu.be/xcg20oTMcEA
    Thanks. I was watching some videos and one thing I noticed Stoeger among others doing is resting the basepad on the ground and tilting their head over against their arm to align one eye with the sights. I'm going to experiment the next time I can make it to the range and it's not a mudhole.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    This the only other thing that comes to mind, demo'd by Defoor, here:

This is the preferred method of shooting prone that I have been taught. Teaching coming from our instructors at our police academy (who also assist/teach at The Range Complex TRC).

I shot the Hack Standards a couple years ago and wasn't too proud of my prone results. So I just kept doing it over and over until I got it worked out.

I go down sideways, roll over one my arm. It helps control the pistol, steady the aim. It is very easy to aim wrong prone and end up aiming high or low.

The Hackathorn Standards in particular a key point is to move very, very fast and get into position. No need to waste time getting down.... Use the time to ensure proper aim and trigger control. Here is a video of my a few years ago. As I recall, it was about 100 degrees too.

Last edited by nwhpfan; 04-01-2018 at 09:29 PM.
    A71593

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    I shot the Hack Standards a couple years ago and wasn't too proud of my prone results. So I just kept doing it over and over until I got it worked out.

I go down sideways, roll over one my arm. It helps control the pistol, steady the aim. It is very easy to aim wrong prone and end up aiming high or low.
    I wasn't going to shoot the standards again for a few months but if I get the prone thing worked out I may shoot it again soon. I think the technique you're using may solve my problem.

I was hoping to shoot at least a 275 and ended up with a 271. I stunk it up on the prone string, but in a way the more frustrating part was dropping four points on the 4' tall target shooting SHO. There's something devious about that little guy and those four points would have made my 275 goal. I'm really kind of glad I came up short though because it's a motivator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZzzqjlbNI

Here's how I shoot prone. Spaulding does a better job demonstarting than I could ever explain.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List