Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I suck shooting prone

Site Supporter

I suck shooting prone

I shot the Hackathorn standards today and things fell apart on the prone string of fire. The taller the target the worse I shot. Part of the problem seems to be vision in that position but that's not entirely it. I could tell I was pushing most of the shots left as I was shooting the string. I've shot the standards a couple times before and the same thing happened each time.

I never shoot prone unless it comes up in a drill so simply practicing it is obviously part of the solution, but I'd like to hear whatever advice anyone has. I've searched the forum but other than a mention of Defoor demonstrating a golf style grip I couldn't find anything.

Do you wear corrective eye glasses?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    No my vision is pretty good. I typically shoot mid to high 90's on a B8 at 25. In prone though it seemed like head position had me looking out of the top of my eyes or something. I'm honestly not even 100% sure of that because I only fired those six shots from prone and am working from memory.

I enjoy shooting prone with a rifle much more than a pistol. With a pistol, I find it easier with a dot, and rest the base of the magazine on the ground for stability.

Bill Rogers was known in the day as the flying squirrel, and would apparently go prone at 15 yards and beyond on the plate rack at the Bianchi Cup.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Have you tried rolling onto your side? That will save you the trouble of having to look out of the top of your eye sockets.

Roll onto your strong side, with you firing arm on the ground, and cock your weakside knee up for support. The closer you can get you're body perpendicular to the target, the better. But if your body is lined up with the target rolling on your side will still help.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    I hadn't heard that about Bill Rogers. That's amusing.

I'm going to shoot prone more the next time I make it to the range and see what I can figure out. It's nothing I every practice because it's so far down on my list of priorities but I also can't stand knowing I suck at something. It also butchers my score on the Hack.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Have you tried rolling onto your side? That will save you the trouble of having to look out of the top of your eye sockets.

Roll onto your strong side, with you firing arm on the ground, and cock your weakside knee up for support. The closer you can get you're body perpendicular to the target, the better. But if your body is lined up with the target rolling on your side will still help.
    Yeah I've done that and shoot well that way. I only shot plain ol' prone today because I assume that's what Hackathorn meant to be used.

This the only other thing that comes to mind, demo'd by Defoor, here:

With rifles, I hate shooting off a bench,
    and my groups show it. Prone is my favorite position, probably because that’s what I’ve practiced the most, but also because it’s ergonomically superior.

With pistols, I do not like shooting prone. I can do it ok if forced to, but wouldn’t choose it. It’s just an ergonomically shitty position for handguns. Either you’re forced to look out of the top of your eyes and have poor focus, or you’re sideways. In poor lighting, standard prone is very difficult for me because the sights are blurry. If at all possible, I shoot sideways. Heck I’ll take supine over forward prone.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    This the only other thing that comes to mind, demo'd by Defoor, here:

That method may be accurate, but it will in no way be competitively fast for uspsa prone standards like long range standards. Watch this video and try to find video of other top shooters shooting prone in matches and compare to what you’re doing. https://youtu.be/xcg20oTMcEA

User Tag List