Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP Gunsmith?

Site Supporter
    Search for a 6 inch GP100 half lug and chop the barrel. Not cheap

I like the look of the 5in as it harkens back to S&W Highway Patrolman models and such.

But for carrying around it is hard to beat the 3 or 4in models.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Search for a 6 inch GP100 half lug and chop the barrel. Not cheap
    No, don't do that.

There are some 4 inch GP100 half-lugs out there with round barrels that are not the MC. Not common, but they exist.

But if you want a 4 inch half lug GP and don't want to spend 9 months trolling GB, doing anything but buying an MC is kinda silly.

A GP with a 3-in barrel just seems out of whack to me. I'd rather have a 65 or 66 for a more compact package, although the non-adjustable sight .38SPL LE-trade-ins are temptingly affordable when they come around.

Depending how confident you are with saws and files...

I did a deep google on this awhile back. Actually in context of half-lug L-frames. There were several threads on S&W forums where people had taken matters into their own hands with 686s. 99 percent of people posting recoiled in horror (or fainted, whatever) at the thought of someone not blessed with being a legendary gunsmith attempting the job. But people who actually had done the job posted pics and it looked good.

Frankly, it's not that difficult to carve off some metal and contour the rest. Just takes time, sharp tools and the willingness to be careful and get it right. I've made a lot of car and motorcycle parts with a bench vise, hand drill, Sawzall and files. Nothing magic happens to metal to make it different and impossible to work with once it's made into a gun.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Heard back from Cylinder and Slide. Prices quoted are:

Remove half of underlug: $280

Serrate top strap to match barrel: $140

Bevel/smooth sharp edges on top strap: $70

Action Job: $167.50

Deposit required to secure my place in the work schedule. Six month estimated wait.

The only other thing(s) I think I'd need is some different sights. Probably a Bowen rear coupled with a patridge-type gold bead front.

Here's some inspiration:

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/gp100.shtml
    Did you contact Bayside Custom?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Frankly, it's not that difficult to carve off some metal and contour the rest. Just takes time, sharp tools and the willingness to be careful and get it right. I've made a lot of car and motorcycle parts with a bench vise, hand drill, Sawzall and files. Nothing magic happens to metal to make it different and impossible to work with once it's made into a gun.
    My father and I did a bunch of this type of thing when we were younger. He still has most of his tools but his health precludes him from doing much nowadays. And I don't live close enough to have easy access to his equipment.

The removal of the lug would be pretty straightforward. The hard part would be getting the barrel rounded out to look professional. Also it might take a bit of work to get the half lug to look intentional rather than accidental.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    A GP with a 3-in barrel just seems out of whack to me.
    The Wiley Clapp models look and feel pretty good with the compact grip installed. More balanced in appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The Wiley Clapp models look and feel pretty good with the compact grip installed. More balanced in appearance.

If you just need action tuning there was a guy who posted as Iowegan on THR that had an ebook about slicking GPs up.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    If you just need action tuning there was a guy who posted as Iowegan on THR that had an ebook about slicking GPs up.
    Iowegan is or was once a professional gunsmith, and seems to be a reasonably reliable SME on technical aspects of revolvers. I used his "book" as a guide (along with my own experience, judgement and methods) to clean up my MC, and the results are most excellent.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 03-28-2018 at 10:24 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    What about searching for a fixed sight GP100 half lug and having a gunsmith install sights ?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    What about searching for a fixed sight GP100 half lug and having a gunsmith install sights ?
    I don't think the fixed sight top strap is thick enough for a Novak. It might be possible to have an adjustable sight mounted but there would probably still be a big ugly groove down the top strap.

User Tag List