Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP Gunsmith?

Ruger GP Gunsmith?

Greetings!

I have an older 4in GP (made in 1992 or 1993 IIRC) that I'd like to have tuned up a bit. The gun shoots okay and the double action trigger isn't bad but the single action is gritty. One of the things, other than the action job, would be to have the barrel reprofiled to get rid of the underlug in front of the ejector rod. There are a few other cosmetic changes I'd like to have too.

I sent Mr. Hamilton Bowen an email but he tells me he doesn't have the time for such a project. Can someone else recommend a 'smith who might be interested?

Plan B is to probably just trade the gun in on a new GP Match Champion. That would no doubt be the less expensive option...

TIA!

Gemini Customs...

He does real nice work on Rugers...

Quote Originally Posted by kilo sierra View Post
    Gemini Customs...

He does real nice work on Rugers...
    He says reprofiling the barrel is too expensive.

JRH Gunsmithing in Nevada? Anyone have experience?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Frank Glenn did a barrel job for me that included shortening an existing barrel and removing roll marks. His prices and turn around are very competitive.

I have no experience with JRH.

Quote Originally Posted by kilo sierra View Post
    Frank Glenn did a barrel job for me....
    Another gentleman who isn't interested in taking on my little project.

I did just talk to Mr. Huntington (JRH) and he tells me he's done the underlug shortening thing several times. He's not currently taking on new work though due to working on moving to a new shop.

Site Supporter
    Bowen referred me to Brian Cosby of Cosby Custom Gunsmithing; (812) 925-6761 on another Ruger DA revolver project I inquired about (and that they were too busy for). I don't know what his capabilities are, but it's another lead.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Bowen referred me to Brian Cosby of Cosby Custom Gunsmithing; (812) 925-6761 on another Ruger DA revolver project I inquired about (and that they were too busy for). I don't know what his capabilities are, but it's another lead.
    Thanks.

I'll give him a ring tomorrow.

I'm wondering if in my lifetime, "gunsmithing" is going to be a thing of the past.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

A buddy just took delivery of his 10mm converted GP100 from Clements Custom Guns (it shoots AMAZINGLY). He did slabsides on it. I'm sure if he is willing to do a full conversion to 10mm, he would be willing to do the things you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    A buddy just took delivery of his 10mm converted GP100 from Clements Custom Guns (it shoots AMAZINGLY). He did slabsides on it. I'm sure if he is willing to do a full conversion to 10mm, he would be willing to do the things you want.
    Ah, yes. I forgot about Clements.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

User Tag List