Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 66, 4”, round butt, no lock - is this a thing?

S&W 66, 4”, round butt, no lock - is this a thing?

After almost two decades of neglect I’ve been enjoying shooting revolvers again. I have a 4.25” S&W 69 that impresses me, and I wouldn’t mind getting its little brother - a 4” 66. But, it would need to be round butt and I’d prefer no lock.

I’m pretty sure current production is RB but it has the lock. Did they ever do a version the way I’d prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    After almost two decades of neglect I’ve been enjoying shooting revolvers again. I have a 4.25” S&W 69 that impresses me, and I wouldn’t mind getting its little brother - a 4” 66. But, it would need to be round butt and I’d prefer no lock.

I’m pretty sure current production is RB but it has the lock. Did they ever do a version the way I’d prefer?
    No. Seems the only no-locks are the J frame special editions.

civiliandefender.com

...But, it would need to be round butt and I’d prefer no lock.

According to the SCSW 4th. Edition, there have been numerous production changes in the life of the Model 66 Combat Magnum, leading up to the introduction of the internal lock. included in those variations are several special runs that were 4" round butt versions listed as prior to the IL introduction.
    Additionally, the SCSW 4 shows that in '95-'96, the square butt feature was eliminated.

Of course, tracking down one will be the hard part!
    Last edited by Det1397; 03-25-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Additional intel

Site Supporter
    Also, there was a time that a person could send a revolver back to Smith with instructions to replace the barrel with another of a different length. Going even further back in time, I remember when Smith would cut a barrel to the customers specified length.

I have a 4 inch model 66 round butt with no lock. Give me a few hours and I’ll post a picture of it.
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 03-25-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    I think the easiest way is to buy a four inch and have the square butt cut to round butt. I’m thinking of doing it to one of min.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    I have a 4 inch model 66 round butt with no lock. Give me a few hours and I’ll post a picture of it.
    That would be great, along with what dash it is. Thanks!

To the post - I’m not completely against the idea of a current production 66 with a lock (that’s why they make plugs, just like I did on my 69), but would like to know my options.

Gratuitous lightly modded 69 pic:

Name:  C30C35D6-D9F5-44DE-867C-1459C2187719.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  81.7 KB

Love my M69...

What sighs are those?

Thanks!

It's marked 66-5. My understanding when I bought it was that this configuration was kinda rare. I payed $550 for it.

Someday I'll get some nice grips for it.

Name:  66.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  30.7 KB
    Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 03-25-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootingrn View Post
    Love my M69...

What sighs are those?

Thanks!
    Those are a Bowen Rough Country rear sight with a 0.430 tall plain rear and a Protocall 0.300 tall x 0.125 wide black Patridge front with a gold bead. I hate a cluttered rear sight presentation, too many Bomars under the bridge. The Bowens are a great improvement over the S&Ws.

*Much* better.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 03-25-2018 at 09:58 PM.

User Tag List