Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Woodmaster 742

Remington Woodmaster 742

I have a Remington Woodmaster 742 semi-auto in 30-06 that I bought in 1972. It's never been fired. A friend is trying to get me interested in rifle shooting. Up till now I've only shot handguns.

Since I own the gun, it seems to be an OK way to get some experience with 100 yard targets from a bench and have fun in the process. I'm looking for input. Should I try to sell the gun and get a more modern rifle, in a smaller caliber? They must have made a million of these things back in the day so it's probably not worth much. Would the fact that it's never been fired make it more desirable to someone?
    Last edited by Tom Duffy; 03-24-2018 at 08:04 PM.

They're not that desirable imo. I do like them though. They are not known for their reliability or accuracy but it might be a good one.
    They're good hunting guns.

They're pretty common, not really any collector value. I doubt you'll devalue it much by shooting it if you take care of it and keep it nice.

Site Supporter
    If you have no sentimental attachment, I would sell it. Using it off a bench at 100 yards is likely to produce disappointing groups by today's standards. A Tika/Howa/Savage bolt is going to shoot groups 1/3 to 1/5 the size. Maybe better, if your sample turns out to be MOPP (minute of pie plate).

Is there a Remington specific board where you could ask the same question? Is it in perfect condition, or better yet, new in box (NIB)? 46 years old and never fired might be worth something to the right person. Chances are, the right person isn't on Pistol-Forum.

Failing that, I would find what nice ones are selling for on Gunbroker, highlight the fact that it is unfired, and run a two week auction with no reserve and a starting price at or $50 more than the other nice ones sold for. Pay the few bucks to jazz up the add and make it stand out. There seems to be a good number of your rifle with lots of bids being sold in the $330-420 range, most of them showing some use.

My father in law has used one for 40+ years and shot plenty of deer, at relatively close ranges in the woods. He had to switch from Remington ammo to Federal Premium to make it work twenty-some years ago.

I had one. I found the bedding of the barrel heated up rapidly and gave me constantly shifting groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    hey must have made a million of these things back in the day so it's probably not worth much.
    Actually about 1.5 million, and I'd bet the vast majority were in .30-06.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Steel or aluminum receiver?

The low weight and related recoil doesn't make for a pleasant introduction to shooting high power for enjoyment.

My uncle has a two 742s in '06, both have aluminum receivers and OK accuracy. He has enough rounds on the first one that it's gouging the receiver and has intermittent cycling issues.

But hey, run what you have or what your buddy has. Steel targets at whatever distance you can hit are a lot more fun than paper.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Steel or aluminum receiver?
    I don't know. I imagine steel, given the age of the gun. I've decided to try to sell it and pick up a new bolt action rifle.

BTW, thanks to everyone for their input. I think I had too much emotional attachment for a gun I never shot.

An unfired 742 from the early 70's will bring more than you think. You're likely to get the best price for it by listing it somewhere like Gunbroker with a large audience.

I'm reasonably certain that Remington never made a 740/742 with anything but a steel receiver. Steel receivers was a selling point for Remington in most of their centerfire & SG line.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 03-29-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

My brother recently passed away, and his 742 in 308 was one of his favorite deer guns. He had a cool camo treatment done to it.
    I decided to keep it for sentimental reasons.
    Here is the boar he killed with it

I am really gonna miss you brother.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List