Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help diagnosing a Glock problem please.

Help diagnosing a Glock problem please.

My Gen 4 G17 is a little over a year old. It is my USPSA gun. It has a Leupold Delta Point Pro on it. It has about 15,000 rounds through it. Light primer strikes have been an issue for some time now with various types of ammo to include Tula (very few), Winchester white box, S&B, Freedom Munitions (probably the worst), Fiocchi, and possibly a couple of others. An intermittent but possibly more frustrating problem is double feeds. I had three of them at a match today. Like the unload/reload type of double feed. I have cleaned the striker pin channel, installed a new striker spring, and a new recoil spring, none seemed to help. Seriously the problem seems worse when it is cold out. For comparisons sake, I own 5 or 6 other Glocks currently and none have this issue, even my Gen 3 BTF king. Ideas? Ideas besides getting a new gun? When they release a Gen 5 17 MOS I will get one.

I've had the end of the striker go bad. One eroded and another just peened over. Compare it to your Gen 3 striker tip. Use a magnifying glass. I've needed at least a 4.5# striker spring for complete reliability and sometimes a 5#.

Double feed can be a magazine problem.
    Last edited by BN; 03-24-2018 at 07:46 PM.

A couple of thoughts on the light strikes:

1) Issues that get worse when cold can be due to excess lubrication or a lubricant that is getting gummy. I assume the striker channel is clean and dry.

2) There seems to be an interaction on some Glocks with recoil spring and striker springs as @Tamara noted: http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot...em-solved.html

http://www.recoilweb.com/compensated...ls-127670.html

For Glocks in particular, a lightened RSA can prevent the gun from fully going into battery, especially if your finger is still pulled back on the trigger.
    Here’s what’s happening: When the trigger is pressed, the striker spring is loaded. Your RSA now has to fight a compressed striker spring in order to fully get into battery. Release the trigger and the slide snaps into place.
    Last edited by farscott; 03-24-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I've had the end of the striker go bad. One eroded and another just peened over. Compare it to your Gen 3 striker tip. Use a magnifying glass. I've needed at least a 4.5# striker spring for complete reliability and sometimes a 5#.

Double feed can be a magazine problem.
    Thanks. I forget to mention that I did also put in a new striker.

Are you running an OEM RSA? I had light strikes with a reduced weight recoil spring on a G4 34.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Are you running an OEM RSA? I had light strikes with a reduced weight recoil spring on a G4 34.
    Yes OEM.

Sent this to a buddy who has forgotten more than I know about Glocks.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Have you always had light primer strikes? Is the Delta Point mounted using the MOS system or aftermarket? What type of lube do you use?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Have you always had light primer strikes? Is the Delta Point mounted using the MOS system or aftermarket? What type of lube do you use?
    Always may be a bit strong, but i have had way more than I have ever had with any other Glock which is almost zero. The Delta Point is mounted with the factory MOS system. Currently I am still using some Wilson Combat grease that I won a bunch of somewhere. I use it on my other pistols and has worked well.

When I say "always" I mean did the light strikes happen right away, after buying the gun, or after a number of rounds had gone through it. If you had them from the start then it may be a defect with the gun.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List