Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: My First Competition as a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    More consistent execution of an acceptable stage plan will beat less consistent execution of the best stage plan, all day long.
    To add to this, don't look at what the best shooter you know did and think you should try to do it the exact same way, especially if that would significantly change your plan. His/her plan may not be something you're capable of executing well; it's important to be aware of what your capabilities under timer-induced stress are. Just because the M-class shooter on your squad saved time by taking those two partial targets from 25 yards doesn't mean you should if there's an opportunity to take them from somewhere else that's closer/easier. (I say this from painful experience of having burned myself that way before. Mikes do worse things to your score than a few extra seconds ever will.)

Ran my first match today , a 3 stage outdoors. Used my shadow 2
    rocked the first stage ( a speed shoot) came in 4th in the 2nd stage and totally choked the 3rd LOl!
    lots of moving on the 3rd and I had no plan I winged it and got totally flustered.
    the good news is I freaking loved it and can't wait for the next one coming up in May.
    So much to learn.............

Quote Originally Posted by kmanick View Post
    lots of moving on the 3rd and I had no plan I winged it and got totally flustered.
    Figure out the path you want to take through the stage, including the exact spots where you're going to stop and shoot. Try to look at it a couple of different ways in order to determine which way requires the least number of steps, and also make absolutely sure you're seeing all of the targets. Sometimes targets are sneaky bastards and they hide, especially on "memory stages." From there, determine where you're going to do your reloads, and unless the stage design absolutely forces it, don't go with a plan that requires you to shoot the gun dry; it's good to have a few extra rounds available for make-up shots.

Of course, none of that is a guarantee that you won't screw up, but it's at least a good baseline way to start.

Welcome to the addiction.

Great thread with many great posts! I have been so busy with work, training, and spending a few days with my family that I haven't shot a match in months and months. It is long past time to get back to it.

Clusterfrack's stage planning list is an outstanding summary.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Great thread with many great posts! I have been so busy with work, training, and spending a few days with my family that I haven't shot a match in months and months. It is long past time to get back to it.

Clusterfrack's stage planning list is an outstanding summary.

link?
    I ended up running the stage I choked 2nd and after seeing how some of the other guys ran it
    really opened my eyes.

link?
    I ended up running the stage I choked 2nd and after seeing how some of the other guys ran it
    really opened my eyes.
    Sorry, don't have it right this second but it's earlier in this thread.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Sorry, don't have it right this second but it's earlier in this thread.
    found it thanks!!!
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post722808

seeing how some of the other guys ran it really opened my eyes.
    As far as I'm aware, there's no rule against working together to figure out the best way to run a stage. Even after you get some experience under your belt, bouncing ideas off of your squadmates can be really helpful to both you and them in solving the problems that complex or strangely laid-out stages present. I'm not sure I remember the last match at which I didn't discuss at least one or two stage plans with other shooters.

true we did discuss the other stages, actually one of the RO's walked me through the one I came in 2nd in, that helped tremendously.
    I got sidetracked talking to someone else before the stage started that I flubbed (my own fault) and I was too close to the top of the order to watch anyone else really run it well.
    My first match...... lesson learned.

true we did discuss the other stages, actually one of the RO's walked me through the one I came in 2nd in, that helped tremendously.
    I got sidetracked talking to someone else before the stage started that I flubbed (my own fault) and I was too close to the top of the order to watch anyone else really run it well.
    My first match...... lesson learned.
    This is a common problem, and easy to avoid. When there are 2-3 shooters before you, politely step away from the conversation and start visualizing the stage again.

Honestly, I'm pretty antisocial before I've shot a stage. Before I shoot, I'm busy memorizing and visualizing. I save the conversations for after I shoot and load/clean mags.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List