Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'It's my job to protect them': U.S. teachers train to carry guns in class

The Buckeye Firearms Foundation provides free training to teachers through the FASTER Program — Faculty / Administrator Safety Training & Emergency Response http://fastersaveslives.org/

http://abc22now.com/news/local/local...chool-shooting

Coloradans for Civil Liberties (CCL) and Independence Institute brought FASTER training to Colorado’s school staff members also.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ter-situations

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I spent 30 years in the teaching profession, and when I reflect on the huge sums of money that school districts blow, I say let them "blow" some of this money on hiring additional police officers to work in schools. In an inner city school, an armed teacher would run the risk of having students disarm him. Why? Just for the hell of it. Another situation would be having students surround him and chant bull shit. Why? Just so they could ridicule him. Allowing certain teachers to have firearms in their vehicles might work, or positioning secure gun storage areas throughout the facilities might be a good idea.
    I guarantee I can carry and no student or any staff would ever know. People do it in many other professions everyday. A proper holster and keeping your mouth shut can go a long way.
    As for a student disarming a teacher, any student willing to disarm a teacher and use that gun against them is a straight up criminal. That same student is also willing to pick up a pair of scissors from the desk and start stabbing everyone, or maybe bring in their own gun and start shooting everyone. The notion that we law abiding citizens shouldn't be able to protect ourselves and the ones we care for because there are low life's in this world just doesn't work anymore. If a school has a percentage of students who are willing to disarm a teacher, those are exactly the schools where carrying is necessary.

In light of the YouTube shooting, it is clear that the Authorities cannot or will not protect law abiding citizens and their charges from deranged homicidal maniacs, and therefore the obvious solution, common sense, really, is that said law abiding citizens should be allowed to have the means to defend themselves and their charges.

As I said (shutting down a debate) in the aftermath of Sandy Hook, what good is a shepherd who cannot protect his or her flock?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    A rural, small and isolated central Texas school district has decided to arm a certain number of teachers and allow them to carry at school. Extra training will be provided.

To me it seems the better option would be a short barrel AR folding stock with a red dot. Locked in a room safe during the day and backpacked home at night.
    ETA Or as per DB an AUG
    Last edited by UNK; 04-04-2018 at 09:20 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    A rural, small and isolated central Texas school district has decided to arm a certain number of teachers and allow them to carry at school. Extra training will be provided.
    Do you mean extra in addition to the 80 hours required by law ?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    To me it seems the better option would be a short barrel AR folding stock with a red dot. Locked in a room safe during the day and backpacked home at night.
    ETA Or as per DB an AUG
    From a technical standpoint, sure.

From a real world standpoint - not happening.

Site Supporter
    The supt stated extra as if it referred to special training. My guess is marksmanship training plus tips from local l.e. trainers.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    From a technical standpoint, sure.

From a real world standpoint - not happening.
    I have two in high school quite liberal in it's bias.I live in the second largest city in the State which is decidedly liberal so I doubt there will be any weapons carried by teachers in their school. If there ever is a meeting concerning that course of action I will definitely be there advocating for long guns. I do realize the improbability but I agree with you it is the best choice especially considering the length of the hallways.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    That's a good point but still impractical, I'm afraid. In my building, the longest hallway that passed by many rich targets was truly a 100 yards long. However, getting to a long arm in a college environment where I was constantly moving between classes, offices and labs seems not practical.

Anyway, my case for campus carry went nowhere. The administration was run by a gun hater and the majority of faculty opposed such. I did manage to get the president to wave his arms and spout random and incorrect cliches though.

User Tag List