Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flat Black "Target" Sights vs. Single-Dot Sights

Black sights are awesome! I wouldn't run anything else-- and I used FO and hi-vis fronts for years. The sight picture is just so clean. And to put your fears at rest, my speed remained the same. A lot of great shooters run black sights. It's not going to hold you back, and may even aid your precision.

If you enjoy shooting steel, you owe it to yourself to switch. There is something magical about clean, black target sights on white steel.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    In other words, you're in your 20's and all black sights aren't holding you back. As somebody that's about to turn 60, that did give me a little chuckle.

Heck, I'd like to have my 45 year old eyes back.
    Just included all that for the sake of stats, I know I don't have anything near a natural impediment, for lack of a better term. I'm sure in a decade or so we'll all be using Glock's OEM RDS system that interfaces with the Google chip in our brains.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Just included all that for the sake of stats, ...
    That is an important data point though, and thanks for including your age.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by DASchell View Post
    I have a USP Expert. I believe the Sights are the same as the Tactical from the Factory. I bought the Meprolight Tritium sights but only put the front sight on as I have the astigmatism issue also. It worked perfect with the factory rear adjustable sight. Nice Single white dot front black rear in the daytime and glow green front black silhouette rear during low light conditions.
    The Expert sights are not suppressor height. The rear sight is the same, if I recall correctly, but the slide is cut lower, so the sight sits lower on the slide. It ends up opening some internal feature of the slide, so you pretty much need the stock sight to retain the bits and have the gun work correctly.

Name:  csm_USP_Tactical45_li_ee86679f4e.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  13.0 KB

Name:  csm_USP_Expert9_li_6f83d475f3.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  12.6 KB

Images are borrowed from the HK DE site. Believe "fair use" applies for accurate discussion of product features and benefits.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by arcfide View Post
    I'm experimenting [with] all black sights to decrease the things that can trigger my astigmatism and get in the way of seeing a clear sight picture.
    Well, experiment over. :-) I tried running the all blacks under various lighting conditions (all day time) and shooting both from a rest and free hand with them to see how they affected my sight picture and the like. The result was no appreciable improvements in precision or tracking the sights, and no noticeably cleaner sight picture, either. Overall, there wasn't a discernable improvement during normal shooting light, and a disadvantage when dealing with contrasting targets that was easily remedied by the use of a white on black dot setup.

On my Beretta APX, the sights are pretty big and the front dot is significantly larger than the rear dots, so tracking the front dot is easier than on the standard three dot setup on my Px4, with shallower sights with equally sized dots. Given that I didn't see any benefit to the all-blacks, it looks like I'm back to white 3-dot setups for myself, they seem to work best.
    Last edited by arcfide; 05-24-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I can't see a black front sight against a black background. I can see my rear sights, I can see the target, I can't force my eyes to find and focus on the front sight. And that's in good light. Congrats to those that can, but I need a contrasting front sight.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Everyone else has said my piece, only better. I would (and have, numerous times) start by painting the top/appropriate part of your front sight with a bright orange sharpie (over a layer of white), revolver-style, and go from there. I'm looking at my sharpie paint pens on my desk right now, since my last purchase was a Springfield Range Officer (and the one before that was probably my Ruger Blackhawk 50th).

Orange up front and flat black out back, FTW. Paint, dot... whatever gets the job done.

That's me to a "T" in regards to changes in eyesight over the years. On my Glock 21, I put AmeriGlo Hackathorn sights. The rear sight is black with a wide notch. The front is tritium insert with an orange surround. Works for me! The sights are not target, nor are they meant to be. I am beginning to see the advantage of a laser.

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    The sights are not target, nor are they meant to be.
    Isn't everything you shoot at a target?

My friend has Hackathorn's on his Glock. His 25 yard performance on a B8 is rather incredible.

I forgot to follow up on this, but I swapped my front sight to a slightly-thinner-but-similar height Dawson Precision red fiber optic. No noticeable change in POI at 15 or 25 yards, but I can pick it up a lot faster now - slightly more than my P30L and its' green fiber optic, in fact.

I then ran the USP at an "outlaw" match locally and scored 10th out of 28 shooters, which I consider "not bad" for my level of shooting expertise and experience with the USP itself (I think I'm at maybe 600 rounds now, so it's nowhere near second nature for me yet). The red front definitely helped in sight acquisition, but sight picture was still something I needed to work on; I threw quite a few shots because of a sloppy front sight alignment because I instinctively shot as soon as it was in visible between the notch, regardless of whether it was vertically/horizontally aligned or not. Downside of getting too used to shooting with an RMR, I guess.

User Tag List