Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flat Black "Target" Sights vs. Single-Dot Sights

Astigmatism, glasses, contacts, the whole buffet. My age will start with a "3" later this year. FWIW, I have the basic Defoor sights on all my Glocks and have found no detriment to what I can do. The proctor sights are a close second but I find them noticeably slower. I find Trij HDs and the like way too busy. While I don't have the experience level of some when I was training with Defoor he mentioned several of his old work buddies with eye issues liked either all black sights or were moving to the RDS.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 03-24-2018 at 09:55 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    All black sights are great if you are shooting in good light against a white background, such as shooting at bullseyes. For a wider variety of targets, some contrasting markings on the sights is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Blacked out rear and a big ass orange dot up front.

I would just put a light layer of white paint on the front with a few coats of bright orange on top and call it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    When I was young and had great eyesight I loved all black sights with a tight notch. Then I started to use an orange front for easier pickup. And at this point I find I need a wider rear notch plus a bright front to do my best shooting.

So use what works for you, and remember it may change.
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Same for me. I used black on black pistol sights and could out shoot a rack grade M4 with irons.

Now I use Aimpoints and fiber optic front sights.
    All of this ^^^^^

I have a USP45 Tactical - front sight is painted Orange with a base coat of white. Same with every pistol and shotgun which doesn’t have HD/Bold Sights or fiber optic fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. I was mostly trying to figure out if there was any theoretical advantage or conceptual reason to running an all-black setup along the same vein of using U-notch rears or "straight 8" night sight pictures. Sounds like there isn't, so I'll definitely look into a suppressor height tritium or FO front. My USP-T is largely a range toy, but I do like the idea of using it for more than that.
    I have a USP Expert. I believe the Sights are the same as the Tactical from the Factory. I bought the Meprolight Tritium sights but only put the front sight on as I have the astigmatism issue also. It worked perfect with the factory rear adjustable sight. Nice Single white dot front black rear in the daytime and glow green front black silhouette rear during low light conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Astigmatism, glasses, contacts, the whole buffet. My age will start with a "3" later this year. FWIW, I have the basic Defoor sights on all my Glocks and have found no detriment to what I can do. The proctor sights are a close second but I find them noticeably slower. I find Trij HDs and the like way too busy. While I don't have the experience level of some when I was training with Defoor he mentioned several of his old work buddies with eye issues liked either all black sights or were moving to the RDS.
    Are you shooting solid black defoors?

I haven't shot all black sights on a pistol in quite a long time. My revolver has a small fiber optic with a nice black rear, but my pistols so far have had mostly three dot whites on them. I also have astigmatism and I have become consciously aware of issues with sight alignment in my shooting. In addition to working on my grip, one of the things I'm experimenting with is the use of all black sights to decrease the things that can trigger my astigmatism and get in the way of seeing a clear sight picture.

I don't know if it is going to make a difference, but it's something I'm willing to give a try simply to see if it makes a difference. We'll see if that's something that I end up going with in the long run, or if I go with more of a CAP style orange front or something like that.

Anything that "glows" is very likely to trigger my astigmatism in much more exacerbated ways than anything else, especially under stress.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Are you shooting solid black defoors?
    Yessir.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I would likely just slather that front sight in the brightest shade of red/orange/pink/green nail polish I could swipe from my wife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    My age will start with a "3" later this year. FWIW, I have the basic Defoor sights on all my Glocks and have found no detriment to what I can do.
    In other words, you're in your 20's and all black sights aren't holding you back. As somebody that's about to turn 60, that did give me a little chuckle.

Heck, I'd like to have my 45 year old eyes back.
    Last edited by JTQ; 03-28-2018 at 07:14 AM.

When I setup IPSC for an indoor range in the 90s, the "all black target sight" shooters hated when the lighting was setup with the light behind the shooter. (They loved it when the lights were in front of them.) We had to penalize people to keep them from messing with the lighting. Evidently, lighting above and behind the shooter made the sights they were using all reflective. Do the more modern all black sights have that problem still? I think those sights were cut differently from the white dot/tritium sights, as opposed to modern sights (that I'm familiar with) being the same cut, without the dots.

My wife is ~30, but has a lot of weird eye issues affecting her abilities to focus properly. She likes a single dot on the front sight and rear black sights. I usually get her tritium rears without a white ring from Dawson Precision.

And, speaking of almost 50 year old eyes, my eyes are to the point that I need trifocals--one setting for up close, one setting for computer monitor/pistol sight difference, and another for past that. I've always liked three dot sights.

Neither of us like the current trend of huge gaps in the rear sight. It makes accurate aiming too difficult for us.

User Tag List