Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat Black "Target" Sights vs. Single-Dot Sights

Flat Black "Target" Sights vs. Single-Dot Sights

I recently picked up a USP Tactical as a suppressor host. So far, I'm pretty smitten with its performance, but since I bought the non-"LE" package, my USP came standard with LPA target sights utilizing a flat black front sight and serrated adjustable rear sight.

Most of my handguns - assuming I have a choice in the matter - end up with flat black rears from either 10-8 or Wilson Combat. I discovered I really liked the simplified sight picture while trying a friend's Glock and promptly rolled it out to my serious use handguns under the assumption that the slight astigmatism I have made the "busy" sight picture of a 3-dot worse, and so far I've seen pretty decent results. I want to set my USP up with a similar configuration, but before I do, are there any reasons that might make it worth considering leaving the flat black "target" sights on?

My aftermarket options for suppressor-height irons matching the LPA rear on the USP seem fairly limited (Dawson and Meprolight have options, and I'm aware HK has a 7.0mm high tritium front but I'm not sure who makes it or if it's the correct height for the factory LPA rear), so I'm taking my time to do some research before jumping into a new sight set. My original plan was to just buy a full Meprolight set like the LE model comes with and just use the front sight, but I'm hesitant to spend $80 and the time needed to do the swap if there's some benefit to a flat black set that I've been missing so far and would end up going back for.

Sights are subjective. If you don't know what to do why not just shoot it and see if you like them?

I’m having a hard time following your post. You’re trying to keep the LPA rear, right? Is it of sufficient height for a suppressor? If yes, measure the front and start shopping.

I have a slight astigmatism too, and I find three dot sights to be too busy these days. What works for me is a orange dot up front and a serrated black rear (Ameriglo Hacks work the best.)

Everyone has their preferences and as Leroy said, it is subjective to a large extent.

Guys like Kyle Defoor rock plain black sights and shoot really well. I ran plain Defoor sights for a while and really liked them except for two things... Shooting fast it becomes much harder to track the front sight and in lower light having a more visible front sight is significantly faster. I'm a big fan of a black rear with a visible front sight. Some of my guns have fiber optic front inserts, some have white-ringed tritium, some have the yellow and others orange fronts from Trijicon (HD) or Ameriglo. They all work well. A couple of my pistols have Novak three-dot tritium sights with no white outline and while they work OK, they suck compared to my black rear/visible front setups.

So, in short - if you're going to be shooting extensively/exclusively at distance or for marksmanship the black sights will do just fine for you. If you're looking at shooting fast or in changing lighting conditions then I'd look seriously at something more visible for the front sight.

Astigmatism here, find 3 dots pretty busy too. I've been enjoying all black sights for a while now. Best set up I've liked for carry was 3 dots with the dots sharpied over - same look for range, but at night/dark room I can see and use the green dots.. I'm just starting to shoot with fiber optic front to track front sight better - it is faster/easier. I have just sharpie'd over the white dot rears on the CZs I'm shooting to have black rear and black front on one, front fiber optic on the other.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Blacked out rear and a big ass orange dot up front.

I would just put a light layer of white paint on the front with a few coats of bright orange on top and call it a day.

When I was young and had great eyesight I loved all black sights with a tight notch. Then I started to use an orange front for easier pickup. And at this point I find I need a wider rear notch plus a bright front to do my best shooting.

So use what works for you, and remember it may change.

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    When I was young and had great eyesight I loved all black sights with a tight notch. Then I started to use an orange front for easier pickup. And at this point I find I need a wider rear notch plus a bright front to do my best shooting.

So use what works for you, and remember it may change.
    Same for me. I used black on black pistol sights and could out shoot a rack grade M4 with irons.

Now I use Aimpoints and fiber optic front sights.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Blacked out rear and a big ass orange dot up front.

I would just put a light layer of white paint on the front with a few coats of bright orange on top and call it a day.
    Bingo.

Best, Jon

Thanks for the input, guys. I was mostly trying to figure out if there was any theoretical advantage or conceptual reason to running an all-black setup along the same vein of using U-notch rears or "straight 8" night sight pictures. Sounds like there isn't, so I'll definitely look into a suppressor height tritium or FO front. My USP-T is largely a range toy, but I do like the idea of using it for more than that.

User Tag List