Thread: Duracoating an 870... need some advice

Duracoating an 870... need some advice

I went from no shotguns to five shotguns in a matter of a few months and now I’m ready to do some additional customizing. I want to Durocoat one of my Tac 14s but he more I thought about the more questions I have. Do I duracoat the rails or mask those off? Do I duracoat the inside of the receiver and if so do I need to remove the stops on either side of the inside of the receiver? Finally, to what degree do I sand down the existing finish? Am I just scuffing or am I taking it down to bare metal? I’ve literally watched videos of people simply spraying their assembled shotgun with Rustoleum while others bead blast the entire thing after complete and total disassembly. I figure somewhere in between will be fine but just not sure about the questions from above. Any answers or additional advice is appreciated. Thanks guys.

I'm a degrease and Rust-Oleum kinda guy

The factory "black oxide" finish is just media blasting and bluing. It sucks as a finish because there's a lot of surface area for rust to attack, it's decent as a base for a spray on finish since there's a lot of surface area for the paint to bind to. A good degreasing is all you need, it's not as good as a parkerized base layer, but it'll work.

I wouldn't do the rails since it will require a lot of surface prep and the finish will just scrape off. At the factory the shell stops and ejector assembly are staked in place, the rivets are flush ground, and then the receiver is then finished. There's no need to remove them. Don't spray inside the receiver, unless you like to save money by paying someone a premium to do the job right a second time.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

THanks for the advice. That was exactly what I was looking for.

User Tag List