Thread: Rifling question

Rifling question

Hi all,

This may be a dumb question, but I'm slightly concerned so here goes. Today I was cleaning my new PSA upper. I ran a brush through it first and it went really hard, but the gun is brand new and so was the brush so I kind of expected it. Then I tried running a patch through. It went really hard so I made the patch smaller and smaller until I was sure it wasn't too big, but it still went REALLY hard, like enough that I bent my cleaning rod a little. Finally got it out the other end and the plastic patch holder had some rifling grooves in it! Not too deep and not all the way around, only 4 groves, but still. I was shocked and checked what size the holder was supposed to be, sure enough its marked .22, but apparently doesn't fit properly in my 5.56 barrel. My question is, could I have damaged the barrel? I looked at the breach, which is the end I was cleaning from, but I don't really know what I am looking for. The ends of the rifling look very pronounced, almost like the could be bulged, but I think its just where the lands start and I've never really looked at that before. I didn't look at it with a bore light before cleaning so I have no reference point. I don't see how a plastic patch holder could damage the barrel, even if it was kinda forced through, but I've heard that tapping out a bullet from a squib load can, so thats why I'm concerned. What do you all think?

If you're worried that you might have some damage from the cleaning rod rubbing against the rifling, it's possible. You would have needed a bore scope to do a before and after assessment to determine that. So that's water under the bridge. You by yourself cannot physically generate enough force to bulge the barrel with a cleaning rod. If you weren't pounding on it with a sledge hammer, it's ok.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You did not hurt your barrel forcing a plastic jag and a cloth patch through it. There are other dynamics involved in removing a bullet stuck in the barrel due to a squib load.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List