Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USSOCOM Adopts 6.5 Creedmoor

USSOCOM Adopts 6.5 Creedmoor

Last Spring, USSOCOM undertook a study of 6.5 family cartridges to determine a path forward for Precision Intermediate Caliber Ammunition. Over the last year, USASOC, the primary driver of this initiative, narrowed it down to 260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor. Testing indicated that the two calibers performed very closely.

Last month, the command conducted a reliability test, using two incumbent weapons, currently in US service; the FN SCAR Heavy and KAC M110. Two weapons of each type were used, one was in 260 Remington and the other in 6.5 CM. What they found is that both weapons performed just as well and were just as reliable in either caliber.

As both cartridges were similarly accurate and reliable, the determining factor for selection of 6.5 CM would end up being trade space. The prevailing attitude is that there was more room with the 6.5 CM to further develop projectiles and loads.

I don’t expect a major announcement, or any fanfare with this decision. Instead, you’ll begin to see small movements toward configuring weapons to utilize this round.
    http://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/23...adopts-6-5-cm/

It will be interesting to see which exact cartridges they end up using.

Site Supporter

USSOCOM Adopts 6.5 Creedmoor

Giggity. Hopefully we see ammo prices drop after a few years of usage and wider acceptance by civilians driven by this move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeep45238; 03-23-2018 at 12:24 PM.

6.5 cm is already at a pretty competitive price. It the .260 match ammo that has remained at a premium.

Site Supporter
    A man can dream for better

Site Supporter
    Probably my next rifle. Or next barrel, if I don't get another rifle. I was thinking about a .270, but 6.5 CM is singing to me more now.

Good move!

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Giggity. Hopefully we see ammo prices drop after a few years of usage and wider acceptance by civilians driven by this move.

If it goes full swing like that you'll probably see 6.5 ammo/components availability get even worse before it gets better.

That's one reason I'm going 7mm on 2 of the 3 barrels for the new build.

My new rifle shipped and should be here next week. Its multi caliber. I went 6.5 Cm and 300 Norma Magnum.

This is a timely post, I was just looking at the 6.5 conversions in FN's catalog for the Scar H/17.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    http://soldiersystems.net/2018/03/23...adopts-6-5-cm/

It will be interesting to see which exact cartridges they end up using.
    What about barrel life??

User Tag List