Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DotW 19: 2 Shot SHO & WHO Draws

Site Supporter

DotW 19: 2 Shot SHO & WHO Draws

Please read the rules before participating in this thread.

Week 19: 2 Shot SHO & WHO Draws
    results may be posted until 11:59pm EST on Monday 13-February-2012.

Range: 7yd
    Target: 3x5 card
    Start position: holstered
    Rounds fired: 100

This week we are going to work on strong hand only and weak hand only draws. Continuing with the trend from last week, we are going to repeat similar techniques multiple times to improve skill.

Draw and fire two shots to the 3x5 card strong hand only with no time limit. Repeat for a total of 25 repetitions. Do not use you weak hand to clear you cover garment. If you are not confident in your ability to hit a 3x5 card at 7 yards strong hand only, then reduce the distance as required.

Repeat the drill weak hand only. If you do not have experience drawing with your weak hand, do not perform the weak hand portion of the drill from the holster. As an alternative, you may start from the ready position. If you are not confident in your ability to hit a 3x5 card at the distance you shot the strong hand string, you may further reduce the distance for the weak hand string.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
    • starting position (ready position, open holster, retention holster, or concealed)
    • number of hits strong hand only
    • number of hits weak hand only

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

Clarification: when you say weak hand draws, do you mean drawing the gun with your strong hand and transitioning it to your weak hand ala Bianchi Cup or do you mean actually reaching over and drawing the gun only utilizing your weak hand?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Clarification: when you say weak hand draws, do you mean drawing the gun with your strong hand and transitioning it to your weak hand ala Bianchi Cup or do you mean actually reaching over and drawing the gun only utilizing your weak hand?
    Actually drawing with your weak hand. Again, if you do not have experience drawing with your weak hand (not directed at you Caleb), do not attempt the WHO string from the holster.

No worries, I just wanted to make sure I knew what the drill was set up for.

HKP30L
    SHO from open CompTac Straight drop
    WHO was from compressed low ready
    number of hits strong hand only: 46 at 7 yds
    number of hits weak hand only: 50 at 5 yds

I 'know' how to do a cross draw, but I've only done it dry firing and with all the repetitions that it was going to require today, I thought I should start on a day I didn't feel I HAD to do it for a DOTW.

I started to feel a little too 'good' on my SHO, and squeezed a few second shots off a little too quickly and pulled those 4 just a tad high or low of the card.

The WHO I was very pleased with, b/c I haven't done much work on WHO and I will actually start a thread here about that: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...0719#post50719

SHO 7 yds from open draw

WHO 5 yds from compressed low ready

BTW, I shot with a solid press out, but my follow up shot was slow-MUCH slower than ToddG's.
    Last edited by BaiHu; 02-06-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: For clarification of my mediocrity.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

We are diminished
    SHO from concealment
    WHO from high ready (because I wasn't sure the range would be OK with my WHO draw gymnastics)

Range for both runs was 7yd.
    SHO, -5
    WHO, -4

I tried to go at a realistic pace without sacrificing accuracy, and I made sure I was able to break the shot at or shortly after extension (press out) rather than punching the gun out and then aiming it while it was steady. I got 91% of my hits, which tells me my speed was just about right to push myself without going stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    SHO from concealment
    WHO from high ready (because I wasn't sure the range would be OK with my WHO draw gymnastics)
    Do you have a video of your method of WH draw? I've seen two and practiced two in the house with snap caps, but never ran it live.

The first is the roll the pistol across the belly version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAlQA2A6J0

The second is the knees clamping as a intermediary position. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNbXJUI5YuE

Was there a preferred method you guys had in mind for this drill?
    Last edited by BaiHu; 02-07-2012 at 12:41 AM.

G17 RTF2, Safariland 6360

SHO= -6

5from Holster/ 20 from the low ready:
    WHO=-5

On duty my weak hand draw is my vest carried G27, since I wasnt running a bug I shot most from low ready.

El Snatcho, was biting me today.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Do you have a video of your method of WH draw?
    I do not use either of the techniques you mentioned. Because of the high degree of risk involved drawing WHO from aiwb, I will not put up a video of it. I do teach it in my aiwb-specific class, however, and also show it to aiwb-carrying students in AFHF if they ask.

Sorry if that comes across as "you gotta pay me to see it."

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I do not use either of the techniques you mentioned. Because of the high degree of risk involved drawing WHO from aiwb, I will not put up a video of it. I do teach it in my aiwb-specific class, however, and also show it to aiwb-carrying students in AFHF if they ask.

Sorry if that comes across as "you gotta pay me to see it."
    Completely understandable. Glad I haven't tried it live, then. I've also seen guys reach behind their back for an OWB at 12ish and further. I will be in RI this summer for AFHF, do you recommend I invest in an AIWB in addition to bringing my usually CompTac straight drop OWB rig? Sorry for off topic, but this drill really moves into the OT realm for me regarding the WH draw.

User Tag List