Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Culture War continues

Site Supporter
    Yesterday I was a shareholder in Citigroup. By the end of today, I won't be. Not that they'll notice, but I can find somewhere else to invest my money.

I might have to put some of the profits towards a new AR, just on principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
    Yesterday I was a shareholder in Citigroup. By the end of today, I won't be. Not that they'll notice, but I can find somewhere else to invest my money.

I might have to put some of the profits towards a new AR, just on principle.
    Every action taken to stand up for your principles is of value, imho. Congrats.

The "Butterfly Effect".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Good article on the culture war aspect: http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/...e-shunned.html

A growing sense that anyone who owns a gun is immoral, unsafe, and a threat to society.
    Found it through Greg E.'s site.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    http://www.themodernsurvivalist.com/archives/2627

In Argentina the slogan shoved down people’s throat was “if you have a gun, you have a problem”. It was pretty effective too, catchy. My wife used to make fun of me whenever we saw it on TV, “You heard that? We have a lot of problems!” We already had mandatory gun registration (try to avoid having that in USA!) and people were harassed regarding how many guns they had and the conditions they were stored in. The anti-gun campaign was strongly supported by so called NGOs that sympathized with the government and were funded by them.

At least here, we can correctly understand the truth of the bolded statement. You need a vetted carry gun, a training/competition gun, and a backup. Then, no problem.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 03-23-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The anti's are not making headway through the legal system, so they are trying to achieve their goals through the banking system. Recently, a group was protesting at Visa's headquarters in Campbell CA trying to get them to not approve "assault weapon" purchases. Problem is, Visa has no idea what you are purchasing when you swipe your card, just the amount of the purchase and if it's a valid vendor. They approve the transaction based on the amount and the status of your account. Those stand alone card readers can't even transmit the merchandise data even if they wanted to. Haven't messed with Point of Sale systems in quite awhile, so please correct me if I'm wrong...

Citigroup is one of those too big to fail banks that was forced to take on lots of bad debt and investments during the 2007-2008 financial crisis. They have probably been able to hide lots of the bad stuff through sleight of hand, but its still there, festering away. Look at all the crazy stuff Wells Fargo pulled, opening up all sorts of accounts for customers who never requested them. It was blamed on some rogue managers, but that stuff probably came from the top. I closed my 30 year old account with them when they were trying to nickle and dime me with fees. Pure speculation, but in the absence of any real data, that's all you can do. Something's rotten on Wall St.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    Those stand alone card readers can't even transmit the merchandise data even if they wanted to.
    If you google "level 3 credit card data" you get the following: Level 3 processing requires the capture of specific line item data in credit card transactions. These additional data fields include merchant name and address, invoice number and tax amount, plus line item details such as item description, quantity and unit of measure, freight amount, and commodity and product codes.
    Last edited by scw2; 03-23-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    Let’s not forget the fact that Citi was in big trouble in 2008: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...4AJ45G20081124

They are still here thanks to your tax dollars.

Before retiring, I spent the bulk of my career working at a major international investment bank in IT, supporting operations and implementing legal compliance systems. About ten years before I retired the bank implemented a major cultural change supporting the LGBT community within the bank and with lots of externally directed support programs. Employees all had to attend training to ensure we weren't discriminatory or biased in our interactions in our day to day work. No objection, since tolerance and understanding are generally a good thing. Parenthetically, the joke in IT was nobody cared where you were from, what you sexual orientation was or your political beliefs. All that mattered was your skill at coding. Many of asked why the sudden change in culture? The answer? Management at the highest levels had decided that many of our clients and investors had similar orientation and if we didn't demonstrate strong anti-discriminatory practices then we would lose a significant number of customers. So the bottom line was money, covered with a veneer of "doing the right thing".
    I think Citibank's motivation driving yesterday's announcement was the same. But realize what this means. Citibank has determined that a significant majority of its customers are fed up with the status quo of politicians and the NRA stonewalling any attempts at strengthening background checks, mental health checks and other reasonable means of keeping guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them. Glenn Meyer is right. There is a culture change happening and in major part it's happening because of the public's perception that the NRA is an intransigent enemy.

In other news, there was no way that HRC would lose in 2016.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    If you google "level 3 credit card data" you get the following: Level 3 processing requires the capture of specific line item data in credit card transactions. These additional data fields include merchant name and address, invoice number and tax amount, plus line item details such as item description, quantity and unit of measure, freight amount, and commodity and product codes.
    How common is level 3 data? Looks to me like it's targeted to corporate card transactions rather then consumer transactions, and needs a POS system that can interface with that data. I can see how that would be useful with corporate cards, I had a boss that was fired for a number of reasons, one of which was charging lap dances on his AmEx. The Visa response to the protest group was basically that they don't collect that data, so they can't filter out transactions based on line item purchases.

Back in my retail days, we ran a batch process to process the credit card transactions via Tymenet over a 2400 baud modem, so my experience is a little dated.

User Tag List