Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grip shape/size vs POI

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Sights don’t have much to do with five yard groups.
    Sure...but OP talking about 10-yard groups not 5.

A POI five inches to the right at 10 yards works out to be less than one degree of bore deflection. With a 5" sight radius, that means that the front sight is 0.07" off true center, or just over half the width of most typical front sights. So if the sights are not perfectly aligned for POA=POI, small differences in perceived sight pictures could add up at this distance

Quote Originally Posted by ExMachina View Post

A POI five inches to the right at 10 yards works out to be less than one degree of bore deflection. With a 5" sight radius, that means that the front sight is 0.07" off true center, or just over half the width of most typical front sights. So if the sights are not perfectly aligned for POA=POI, small differences in perceived sight pictures could add up at this distance
    Do this drill at 5 and 10 yards — purposefully misalign the sights as far left and right as they can go within the rear sight, press the trigger carefully, and report your group size.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A
    He was probably thinking you were talking about yourself, as did I.

Instantly, I had noticeably less difficulty shooting decent 5 yard groups off hand, and my closer in groups tightened up substantially.
    I don't shoot 5 yard and in groups generally, but if someone hasn't demo'd to you purposely misaligning the sights you'll be surprised at what kind of crappy sight picture you can get away with. World's nicest GM Tim Herron demonstrates here.

https://youtu.be/bITxL4jNGlM
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 03-24-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    He was probably thinking you were talking about yourself, as did I.
    Woops!!! Typo. My post should have read 25-yard groups...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Do this drill at 5 and 10 yards — purposefully misalign the sights as far left and right as they can go within the rear sight, press the trigger carefully, and report your group size.
    I have! The magnitude of the effect is variable and contingent on 1) the sight radius, 2) front sight width and 3) rear notch width. Short guns are the most unforgiving and you can absolutely be off by 5" @ 10 yards with some set ups.

I would definitely try a larger back strap if possible. In slow fire, grip shape shouldn't be a huge factor (See Jerry Miculek making 200 yard shots with an upside-down J frame) but for me, it definitely becomes more of one as speed increases.

Shooting my CZ I noticed that as I pushed faster, I had a tendency to throw shots to the right which I had never seen with my Glock or other guns I've shot. During dry fire as I push speed, I clamp harder with my support hand (left) and relax my firing hand to increase trigger finger speed. With the thin grips I was using, the pressure from my support hand was pushing more on the fingers of my firing hand than the frame and as I relaxed the firing hand, the lack of a counteracting force would let the gun twist slightly to the right. I never had this issue with my glock because it has a much larger grip which leaves room for my support hand to put pressure into the frame where I want it, rather than the fingers of my firing hand. Switching from the thin grips to a thicker set has completely solved the issue for me.

User Tag List