Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NOVA Snowmageddon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    The problem is southerners have summer performance tires on their cars. A set of quality all season radials would make a world of difference.
    A bit of a generalization. I've never purchased anything but All Season M&S tires for my vehicles (except for the AT LT tires that go on my 4x4). Same goes for my dad. I don't know of any non-enthusiast drivers who drive around on "summer performance tires". The "enthusiasts" generally have 2nd wheelsets with all-season tires.

Chris

I was supposed to pull the fun car out of storage 3 weeks ago.
    Now I'll be lucky if it's out by July!

And no, it only has 3-season (or less) tires on/for it. I have 2 other vehicles to drive in weather other than bright, sunny, and dry.
    Last edited by hufnagel; 03-21-2018 at 06:13 AM.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I live a bit further north than that (Manassas) and they salt, sand, and plow the roads here. The day before a predicted storm, they put brine down and have snow plows staged on major roads. Even the roads in my neighborhood get plowed, including the cul-de-sac I live on.

Chris
    I bet it had to do with the town I was in, Petersburg. The impression I got while I was there was that the city government was poor as dirt and mismanaged, so that may have played a role in why nothing was taken care of. I didn't exactly venture forth beyond that until the roads improved, so it wouldn't suprise me to learn that other areas that have their shit together actually take care of their roads. The other thing that I found really weird was that all of the businesses closed for the storm. That just doesn't happen here. I mean if it's really bad they might close early, but we're talking snow measured in feet, not inches at that point.

I think tires probably made a big difference too. I put winter tires on before I left in October, but I imagine a lot of people in that area just run summers year round.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    The problem is southerners have summer performance tires on their cars. A set of quality all season radials would make a world of difference.
    Even good all-season tires cannot compare to a set of decent winter tires when the white stuff flies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD View Post
    Even good all-season tires cannot compare to a set of decent winter tires when the white stuff flies.
    Agree, but the OP said "summer performance" vs "all season". My point was that I don't know of anyone who doesn't use "all season" except for serious car people and they have dedicated winter wheels.

True "winter tires" are overkill down here. Snow seldom lingers on the pavement for more than a day or two and we don't get significant snowfalls every winter. Even a couple winters ago where we had 24" fall on us at one time, the roads were passable with non-AWD vehicles within 24hrs and completely clear down to the pavement within 48hrs.

I'm in Northern VA where we get more snow than "the South", yet I don't feel the need for dedicated winter tires.

Chris

Really coming down now. Wasn't a big change till about 7am.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Agree, but the OP said "summer performance" vs "all season". My point was that I don't know of anyone who doesn't use "all season" except for serious car people and they have dedicated winter wheels.

True "winter tires" are overkill down here. Snow seldom lingers on the pavement for more than a day or two and we don't get significant snowfalls every winter. Even a couple winters ago where we had 24" fall on us at one time, the roads were passable with non-AWD vehicles within 24hrs and completely clear down to the pavement within 48hrs.

I'm in Northern VA where we get more snow than "the South", yet I don't feel the need for dedicated winter tires.

Chris
    I used to feel that way even here in the Salt Lake Valley, where while we probably get a lot more snow than your area, the roads always get plowed within a day of having been covered in the stuff. I became a convert after we equipped my wife's car with winter tires because her commute takes her right up some fairly steep hills at the edge of Salt Lake City's east side and she was having trouble getting to work on her all-seasons. I was very pleasantly surprised to find the winter tires had better cold-temperature traction than the all-season tires on my nearly-identically-sized car, even in the dry. I'm now a big believer in them.

I used to have dedicated winter wheels and tires, but then realized it doesn't prevent everyone else from slamming into you.

The issue is not summer vs all-season vs winter tires. The issue in northern Virginia is that most people are house poor and therefore elect to roll with bald tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Breeze View Post
    It was crazy. I had a 12 min drive that took me 2 hours. I have never seen anything like it. A pick up truck was towing people up a small grade just to get into the parking garage of my building.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    My wife got stuck on 95 in that. Was in traffic for 4 hours, moved 2 miles, enough for her to get off (shirlington exit maybe) and get a hotel for the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

So far, a nice snow day for myself and the family. My $40 Craigslist snow blower kicked ass. Yes, I know that the snow will melt, but I needed to test this machine and the kids loved it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

User Tag List