Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Morphing" Karambit on Kickstarter

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

"Morphing" Karambit on Kickstarter

I'm not really a knife guy, but this looks neat. More details on the Kickstarter campaign. Evidently, the prototype has been around for a while, but the designed is now wanting to put it in large scale production.

Name:  63f937287aa2524716a13337ef9260a7_original.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  68.7 KB

Thoughts?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Nifty.

Looks like it beats the recent NYC interpretation of gravity knife laws.

I wonder how solid it is though. there are quite a few moving parts. Still, an interesting idea.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 03-20-2018 at 04:23 PM.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

It does look a bit complex to me. I do like karambits, and carry a fixed or folding one quite frequently.

I would have to burn a whole lot of reps with that, before I carried one.

I give it engineering style points. I don't think it's something I'd be interested in owning or carrying.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    The intended retail price is apparently $650. That would put this in the 'No' category for me.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Very interesting: I like everything about it except that the price is more than I am willing to spend on a knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Yeah, neat gimmick != worth $650. Hard pass, even though I would very much like to play with one.

The $450 Kickstarter price seems pretty unreasonable to me but apparently my opinion is unique because these folks have already met their fundraising goal several times over.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Well, no, thanks. Interesting engineering exercise, but, not a practical karambit, for me.

For those of us who know what a rear brake is, and use it, well, there is no rear brake. A rear brake is not a separate part, but a shaping of the ring where it joins the rear of the handle, where it engages the middle finger while holding the karambit in the extended grip.

Again, as a design exercise, this is interesting.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-21-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Cool little gadget but for a serious blade, I would strongly pass especially at the price. Seems like it would make a good paper weight/something to fiddle with at a desk.

I have no experience training with a Karambit but if I did I would go with a Steve Tarani design or someone similar.

I find when using specialized weapons especially blades that usually the person who has vast experience using a particular style has certain preferences and design considerations when selecting that particular knife.
    Last edited by EVP; 03-21-2018 at 02:14 PM.

User Tag List